The True Alumnus of Hell
Daniel J. King
With thanks to Andrew Lloyd Webber, George Lucas, Triskell, and Frank Sinatra.

~

The ginger colored tom walked through an abandoned part of the park. It was a lovely summer day, the sun was warm and the grass was soft underfoot. Being a Monday, no other inhabitants were present, which was exactly how the tom liked it. These short excursions were merely occasional, and cherished for that reason. It had been a couple weeks for the tom, which was close to the limit for him. He needed this like he needed food and water.

After taking a glance around to make sure he was alone, he set himself free of the shell that protected him from the harshness of the world. Suddenly he could feel the sun on his fur, the breeze on his face, and the coolness of the clovers on which he sat. It was wonderful to feel again. He knew from experience however, that if he let himself go too far, feeling would no longer be wonderful. He could fall into a dark place, where only misery lurked waiting to consume him.

For that reason, he allowed himself only one day a week, to protect himself from the darkness that waited just bellow the surface.

At the moment, though, he was blissfully carefree as he rolled around in the grass. He thought back to his kitten hood, a time of happiness, a time of light. A time that was so short.

 

"Mephisto!" The grey-stripped kitten shouted angrily.

Mephisto laughed as his younger brother by three seconds tried fruitlessly to grab the collar suspended from the top of the car antenna. No matter how Munku tried, he could not reach his collar. Mephisto had snatched the collar away in his sleep and put it where he knew Munku could never get it.

After another failed try, Munku sat gasping and said, "How'd you get it up there?"

Their brother Alonzo, always at Munku's side of course, bounded up to Mephisto. "Yeah, you can't jump that high!"

The youngest of the four, Plato, sat watching silently. Their adopted brother, Rum Tum Tugger, was off playing with the other jellicle kittens.

Mephisto simply laughed again as his brothers pondered the collar dangling from the antenna.

Their mother came over and, after surveying the situation, spoke to Mephisto in a slightly scolding, but warm voice. "Get it down Mephisto."

"He can't reach it!" Alonzo stated loudly.

"Oh, its easy." Mephisto said as he put his paws on the antenna. He had noticed earlier that the antenna's base was broken, and could be bended with slight pressure. When the antenna was bended over, he put it under him and retrieved the collar. He spoke to his family with the collar in his mouth. "Ya see, ya jus gotta be clever."

His mother shooed them off the old car and spoke to Mephisto. "Alright clever kit, be nice to your brother." When she wasn't looking Munku swiped at Mephisto's ear. Mephisto just ducked and laughed. They continued their play until later in the afternoon, when all their lives changed for the first time. Their mother became ill that evening, after helping to save orphaned kittens from a fire.

She spoke to them that night in a deathly voice that would haunt Mephisto for the rest of his life. "I'm very proud of you all. You're the best kittens a queen could ask for, that includes you Tugger. I want you all to remember, that I'll always be with you, no matter what happens. Remember the virtues I've taught you, and always remember that I love you."

She was getting worse, so the five brothers had to leave. They were all silent. Munku, Plato, and Alonzo looked fearful and uncertain. Tugger and Mephisto however, were crushed. Both realized what was meant by what had just happened. Tugger knew because he had already lost parents, and Mephisto had figured it out soon after. The suspense ended later that night.

Their mother past away. She was buried the next evening. Tugger was miserable, and his other brothers were nearly hysterical with sadness. Mephisto saw the whole thing as if it were a dream. He would later realize that he hadn't understood a word anyone had said. Nor had he felt anything during that time and the next few days after. All he could feel was a sort of emptiness, a coldness or a darkness inside him. His friends and family would later tell him that he was unresponsive at times, even when nudged or rubbed.

After the first week they began to recover. In a way, their youth helped them recover and come to terms faster, though they would never be quite the same again.

Months past and their first birthday arrived. They had all grown quite a bit in size and character.

Mephisto's appearance had changed since his birth. He had a dazzling ginger based coloration, a lean, strong build, and opal green eyes that always portrayed self-confidence. Suddenly queens found him attractive, and before long he knew it. If queens found Mephisto attractive however, they found Rum Tum irresistible. Mephisto became fascinated by the way Rum Tum effortlessly commanded the attention of those around him. It was as though he had some kind of power over his adoring fans. Power, any kind of power, was very appealing to Mephisto.

He went to work on developing his charm. He had been told that charm was something that you were born with, but Mephisto was determined to prove he was smart enough to become irresistible like Tugger.

So started a sort of arms race between Mephisto and Tugger. In their competition for attention they both forced the other to grow. In a way, Mephisto would be responsible for how popular the Rum Tum Tugger would end up.

During this competition, Mephisto made an extraordinary discovery. Shortly after he put it to work.

"Hey Demeter." Mephisto said with a debonair smile.

Demeter looked over at him with a slightly shy smile. "Hi Mephisto."

"You know what Dem, I think we're meant to be together." Mephisto told her.

Demeter laughed and decided to play along. "And why's that?"

"Its fate." Dem gave him a skeptical look. Mephisto produced three dice. "What's your favorite number?" He asked. Demeter shook her head, wondering where this was going. "Um, ten." "OK, how do you want that to show on the dice?" Mephisto asked. "A two, a three, and a five." Demeter replied. Her sister Bombalurina came over. "What's going on?" Bomb asked. "Well, Demeter chose the numbers two, three, and five. Therefore, if those numbers come up on my dice, then we're soul mates." Mephisto said with a mischievous grin. Dem and Bomb laughed. Demeter looked at him as though he were a kitten telling a wild story. "OK, go ahead." Mephisto rolled the die. Two, three, and five came up, in that order. The two queens gaped at the die and looked up at Mephisto curiously. Mephisto spoke in his practiced suave voice. "Only one explanation for that." After a moment Demeter laughed and picked up the dice. "That's a good trick Mephisto." He wasn't done yet. "That's not the half of it. I'm wearing your collar and you're wearing mine. Demeter took a closer look at the blue collar around his neck and found that it was indeed hers. Bomb gasped after looking at the collar on Demeter. "Everlasting cat! How did you do that?" Bomb asked. Mephisto shrugged. "Here," he said as he took Demeter's collar off and gave it to her. He held Demeter's gaze for more than a moment. Then Tugger came prancing into the junkyard. Like moths to a flame, the eyes of the young queens were drawn to him. Mephisto retreated to the opposite corner of the junkyard, and watched Tugger regal the queens with his monologue. Mephisto smiled and whispered to himself. "Just wait my queens, the best is yet to come." That night Mephisto asked Tugger to come to his home. Tugger was suspicious, but agreed good-naturedly. Mephisto sat on the windowsill watching for his half-brother, while listening to Frank Sinatra singing "Come Fly with Me" on his master's CD player. Mephisto genuinely liked his master, due to the fact that they had so much in common. The bachelor was very intelligent, and enjoyed fine dining and relaxation. They also had similar tastes in music. Tugger arrived and Mephisto met him out side his master's living room window. "Evening Rum Tum." Mephisto said politely. Tugger got right to the point. "So what's this all about Phis?" "I have a proposition to make." "I ain't backing off an inch." "You've got me all wrong brother. While it would be easier for me if you were to stay out of my way, that's not the cleverest thing to do." "And what is the cleverest thing to do?" Tugger asked impatiently. "Join forces." Mephisto replied mischievously. Tugger's impatience was replaced with curiosity, and Mephisto went over the plan. The next evening at sunset all the jellicles were going abut their business as usual. Mephisto winked at Rum Tum and they went and stood in front of the tire on which their father Deuteronomy sat with Gus who had just returned from London. Tugger spoke to Gus for a moment and he stood up excitedly. Addressing the entire crowd, Gus made a cheerful announcement. "Listen up everyone! The Rum Tum Tugger and Mephistopheles would like to provide some entertainment this evening." Mephisto had known that Gus would be enthusiastic about his idea, and would be perfect to announce them. The jellicles all chattered with surprise. Rum Tum and Mephisto had been competing for affection for months, and the aspect of them working together was nearly shocking. The crowd turned their attention to the two handsome toms grinning madly in front of the tire. Tugger spoke at Mephisto's signal. "This is for all the queens." At that the two began to sing slowly and richly, Tugger to Bombalurina and Mephisto to Demeter.

Tugger, "Fly me to the moon,"
Mephisto, "Let me sing among those stars."
Tugger, "Let me see what spring is like"
Mephisto, "On Jupiter and mars."

Tugger, "In other words,"
Mephisto, "Hold my hand."
Tugger, "In other words,"
Mephisto, "baby, kiss me."

Tugger, "Fill my heart with song,"
Mephisto, "Let me sing for ever more."
Tugger, "You are all I long for,"
Mephisto, "All I worship and adore."

Tugger, "In other words,"
Mephisto, "Please be true."
Tugger, "In other words,"
Both, "I love you."

Mephisto's plan had worked flawlessly. Praise came from all around them. Demeter's look of embarrassment was priceless, and Bombalurina wouldn't stop laughing until she could give Tugger a playful swipe. After shaking hands with Gus and getting a pat on the back from Plato, Mephisto came over to Demeter.

Smiling at her, he said, "Not half bad huh?"

Demeter laughed and playfully batted at his shoulder. "Oh, you."

 

The next two months were wonderful. Mephisto and Demeter's relationship blossomed, as did Mephisto's self-confidence.

Tragedy struck at the end of the summer, when the jellicle leader became very ill. It was soon obvious that Deuteronomy would soon succeed his father, and that a new guardian would be appointed. Being the eldest, the post would go to Mephistopheles.

Mephisto began to prepare himself for his post. During his study of jellicle tradition, he formulated ideas for radical changes. No one took him seriously at first, as it was strictly taboo to go against jellicle tradition. It soon became apparent that Mephisto wanted to reform the clan's system. His over-confidence gave way to naivety, in that he didn't seem to notice that he could be charged with treason for his liberal ideas. His brothers tried to bring this to his attention.

"I think the set traditions are fine." Munku remarked one evening. Ever on his side, Alonzo agreed.

"I'll admit that the traditions are adequate," Mephisto said in response, "But the changes I propose would bring about more progress and justice."

"Progress isn't always a good thing." Munku retorted.

"Neither is strict tradition." Mephisto replied. "You cannot be afraid of change little brother."

Plato listened to them with interest quietly.

"That may be true, but you must realize that a possible consequence of this is treason. You could lose the post and your place in the family, or worse, be banished or exiled." Munku told him.

"I think Deuteronomy will come to his senses before anything that rash happens." Mephisto replied.

"You're the one who's going to have to come to your senses Phisto." Alonzo said.

Mephisto sighed, and left his brothers without a word. Munkustrap also left the discussion, walking out of the junkyard towards the pile of trucks nearby. Mephisto looked around and saw Demeter. He was about to go to her, but she then started towards the junkyard exit. Mephisto figured that she was going home early for the night, but couldn't help noticing that she had headed towards the pile of trucks.

After a week the jellicle leader passed away. It was a tearful goodbye, but his long illness had prepared everyone somewhat. At the end of the funeral, Deuteronomy announced that the Leader and Guardian ceremony would take place the day after next.

Mephisto was directly warned by his family to dismiss all of his radical ideas, lest the clan opt for treason. The guardian could not oppose the leader in any respect; jellicle law dictated such. Mephisto's self-assurance began to falter, but he held strong to his beliefs about progress.

The day before the ceremony, Demeter met Mephisto in an isolated part of the junkyard.

She had a worried expression as she spoke to him.

"Phisto, what's troubling you? Your not going to oppose Deuteronomy tomorrow are you?"

Mephisto did not meet her gaze. "I know I am right."

"But you could be charged with treason! Don't you know what that means? You could be-"

"Impeached, disowned, suspended, banished, or exiled." Mephisto finished. "I will stand by my values."

Demeter's voice was pleading. "But what if you're banished? What if-" "What if I'm banished?" Mephisto interrupted. "Would you stand by me?"

The look on her face and her hesitation spoke volumes.

"I thought so." Mephisto said.

"Phisto, wait-"

"You don't have to lie anymore. Did you think I was blind? Did you think I wouldn't figure it out?" Mephisto locked eyes with her.

Demeter was speechless.

"You love Munkustrap, and he loves you." Mephisto saw in her eyes that he was correct. He got up, and when he spoke his voice was sad and cold. "I'll see you tomorrow."

 

Tomorrow came. That evening Mephisto found himself standing outside the junkyard, staring at the sidewalk as if it were alien. One word kept ringing in his mind Banishment.

How could they do this to him, he thought over and over again. Excommunicated from his clan, an unfair punishment. He drowsily walked down the sidewalk. Suddenly his vision was blurry. It was raining. He hadn't noticed the rain until it had blocked his vision. He didn't feel wet, however, he only felt a sort of emptiness, a coldness or darkness inside him.

 

It had been a rough two weeks. He got over his shock, only to fall to sadness and anger. Eventually he decided to explore other areas in hopes of finding companionship. His master lived in a lower-middle class area, inhabited by many strays. Mephisto soon learned that it was best to avoid strays, as most of them were dangerous. Further and further he explored, until one day he came across and interesting situation.

Mephisto heard the queen before he saw her. The screaming was that of terror and misery, and gruff voices could be heard accompanying the wailing. Mephisto soon saw what the ruckus was. A snow-white queen was being dragged down an alley by a pair of tough looking strays. Mephisto acted on his first impulse and pounced on the nearest one, using the element of surprise to his advantage. The strays fought back viciously, but they were underfed and uncoordinated, and most likely high on nip. Mephisto suffer few wounds before the two stray retreated into the alley.

Panting from the encounter, Mephisto addressed the white queen at his side.

"Are you, OK?"

The queen seemed afraid at first but when she caught sight of his collar she spoke up. "You're not a stray!"

"Even if I was, I wouldn't have allowed you to be catnapped." He extended a paw, and the queen cautiously took it. He helped her up and asked her again, "Are you OK?"

"Yes," She replied, and then seeing his wounds she remarked, "Your hurt!"

"Its not bad. Let's get back to my place."

They quickly padded to Mephisto's home, where the queen cleaned his wounds. She introduced herself as Gracelisa, or Grace for short. She explained that her owners had abandoned her and she had been wandering through out the alleys without a clue as what to do. Mephisto told her that he had no family, and was living alone with his owner.

Grace took an immediate liking to Mephisto. Though somewhat depressed, he was still charming and handsome. After spending a few days with him she soon learned of his intelligence and liked him all the more for it.

Mephisto greatly enjoyed Grace's company. She was very caring and thoughtful, and she could sooth his soul like no other.

 

They formed a special bond a month later when Mephisto's owner had to move away without him. They became strays, and soon found an old shed to reside in. Their life wasn't easy, but it was happy.

One night while sitting on a rooftop under the stars, Mephisto smiled at Grace and began to sing.

"I've got you under my skin. I've got you deep in the heart of me. So deep in my heart that you're really a part of me. I've got you under my skin. I'd tried so not to give in. I said to myself: this affair never will go so well. But why should I try to resist when, baby, I know so well I've got you under my skin?

I'd sacrifice anything come what might For the sake of havin' you near In spite of a warnin' voice that comes in the night And repeats, repeats in my ear: Don't you know, little fool, you never can win? Use your mentality, wake up to reality. But each time that I do just the thought of you Makes me stop before I begin 'Cause I've got you under my skin.

I would sacrifice anything come what might For the sake of havin' you near In spite of the warning voice that comes in the night And repeats - how it yells in my ear: Don't you know, little fool, you never can win? Why not use your mentality - step up, wake up to reality? But each time I do just the thought of you Makes me stop just before I begin 'Cause I've got you under my skin. Yes, I've got you under my skin."

Grace laughed and they embraced in the moonlight. Mephisto burned with love.

 

Three months later they joyously celebrated the birth of four kittens. Mephisto looked on his two daughters and two sons lovingly. Both his daughters were snow white like their mother. One of his sons was a mix of his mother and father, with ginger coloration on his back and white on his chest and face. His other son had his exact coloration, which pleased him to no end. He curled up with his new family and slept as well as he had ever slept in his life.

The following week must have been the most joyous in his life, because it seemed to be over in a blink.

Mephisto would never be able to fully recall what he saw at the end of that week when he came home from hunting. A few torturous details remained in his mind.

Blood. Blood everywhere. From his family.

The icy chill he felt when he realized that they were gone forever.

Grace's last words, carved into his memory like stone. "I love you Phisss" And of course, the cries of his remaining son. The ginger colored ball of fur that had somehow escaped the wrath of the murderous robbers that had raided his home.

 

Now he stood in a corner of the junkyard, the place he had been banished from. He knew what he had to do. Oddly, when he had discovered his murdered mate and kittens, that familiar numbness came onto him. He would later reason that it came about to protect him from falling into bottomless despair. He did not fight the numbness. He had a duty to his surviving son, and to those who had not survived. First, he had to make sure his son would have a good life. He knew now that he would never be able to provide that to him. Right on time, Mephisto saw Tugger coming from his home to the junkyard. Tugger had always been his favorite brother, and he knew that he would make sure his son was happy. Before Tugger saw him or his son coming, Mephisto gave his son a gift to insure he was accepted into the tribe.

Mephisto had discovered long ago that he possessed special abilities. He had diligently practiced his powers ever since. Now he had an array of tricks up his sleeve. None of which, however, could bring Grace back.

He used his power to change his son's fur color completely, so he would not be associated with Mephisto. He used much of his energy in making sure that the spell was permanent. After wards, he embraced his sleeping son one last time and quickly hid in the shadows. He used the last of his energy to cover his scent from Tugger.

Tugger came strutting along like Mephisto thought he would. His half-brother looked as though he hadn't changed in the months since Mephisto left. Rum Tum stumbled over the kitten, and got up cursing. The kitten upon waking up, began to meow pitifully. Tugger looked at the kitten for a moment as though it carried the plague. But soon his soft side won over and he picked Mephisto's son up and carried him into the junkyard.

Mephisto's first duty was done. It had been hard to let his son go, but the next task would prove much more grisly.

It had been a long day at the vicarage. He'd been in the jellicle graveyard, digging alone in the frozen dirt.

Four neat little graves. His second duty to his family.

He stood there in the snow staring at the one large mound, and the three smaller ones. He was still quite numb, even more so from the cold, and he was still in a stoic, dreamlike state. The thought of him catching his death from the cold flashed through his mind briefly. He reasoned, however, that it would not really matter if he died there in the snow.

Unknown the Mephisto, Plato had been approaching the graveyard. The youngest of the brothers had come to see his grandfather's grave, and had instead found a snow-covered cat, hunched over a bare spot of the yard. Plato went to the cat curiously. When he realized who it was, he stopped.

"Mephisto!"

Mephisto stood as still as if he were actually frozen. Plato barely made out his answer.

"Plato."

Plato came closer and was going to inquire why he was on jellicle land when he saw the newly dug graves.

"What's happened Phis?" Plato asked in a whisper.

What's happened? The question brought Mephisto out of his stupor. Suddenly the full force of his loss hit him, hard. He gasped for breath and couldn't breathe for a moment. All the muscles in his body tensed up. His jaw quivered and his eyes became wide.

"They're gone." He whispered.

"What?" Plato asked, edging closer.

"My family, they're gone." His voice was shaky and high pitched. He turned to Plato, his words coming out in raspy, half formed clusters. "It shouldna... It shouldn't of happen Plato.. Shouldn't of happened. It shouldn't of happened Plato. Not to... Not to them."

Plato was speechless. He didn't understand what Mephisto was talking about, just that it was very tragic.

Mephisto started to breath very fast. As his breath speed up he panicked and he breathed even faster. Plato ran to his brother, afraid he was suffocating. Mephisto collapsed, and began to shake all over.

Then the numbness came back. That sort of emptiness, a coldness or darkness inside him. Mephisto's breath suddenly became very calm and quiet. Though his paws were still shaking, he had a measure control over himself again. He stood up slowly. He turned to a frightened and confused Plato, and spoke the words that seemed to explain it all.

"No one should have to bury their own kittens Plato. No one." His paws shook worse than before as he spoke.

Realization hit Plato like a brick. He stared at the graves in shock, at the nieces and nephews he never knew.

Mephisto began to whisper just loud enough for Plato to hear. It seemed that he had forgotten about his brother's presence.

"I swear by the Everlasting Cat, you will be avenged."

Then he turned and left the graveyard and his brother without looking back. He let the numbness fully besiege him. After all, he had one more duty to his family.

Mephisto had never been very aggressive. Though competitive, he had never been unusually violent. He had never thought himself much of a fighter. Three days later he would prove different.

 

The evening he sat in the abandoned flat, just resting. Thankfully, he did not feel any pain. He knew he must have had many wounds; one did not take on an entire gang and leave unscathed after all, and he was smart enough to tell that much of the blood that coated his fur was probably his.

That was not the only reason his fur looked different. He had changed his fur color as a way of expressing himself. He had added sporadic stripes to him self, to make it look as though he'd shattered. Which he had, in a way. The change was so drastic that no one who had known him would recognize him anymore, but he did not really care. Every one who knew him disliked him anyway.

It had taken only three days to find the murderers' layer. Likewise, it had taken only three minutes to finish them all off. For that, he had his special abilities to thank. Lightning proved to be very effective in combat.

He simply sat in the middle of all the carnage in a half-sleep. He did not notice the other toms until they shouted.

"Everlastin' Cat! What sort of Hell came through dis joint?"

Mephisto looked up at the two toms that had entered. One was black and the other was white with gray spots. They stared at him quizzically.

"Killed ë'em." Mephisto explained.

His explanation did not seem to help their confusion. The black cat spoke. "You, killed all of these cats?"

"Yes."

"Alone?"

"Yes."

"Who are you?"

It should have been an easy question to answer, but somehow Mephistopheles did not fit. Mephistopheles was a romantic, a thinker, a loving mate and father of four. He was not a mass murderer. No, he had become something else.

"Macavity."

He did not know why he picked the name in that moment. He could not remember hearing it anywhere. He had never known anyone named Macavity in his life. But somehow it fit.

"Well Mac, uh, is it OK if we call you Mac?"

"Fine."

"Well, Mac, I'm pretty sure our boss would want to meet you. We've been competing with dis gang for a long time now, and here you come massacring it."

"Take me to him." Macavity did not exactly know what he was doing, but he had nothing to lose. A possible opportunity had presented itself. The game of life may have dealt him a losing hand, but he was still playing.

They walked a long way until they came to a rather large house.

"Onwer's rich." The black cat explained.

They went into a room overlooking the street. Four cats looked at them as they came in. A fifth however, gazed out the window.

"Boss, dere's someone you should meet here."

The boss turned around and met Macavity's gaze. He was an orange tabby a little on the short side, and none too young either. Nevertheless, he commanded a high level of respect from his comrades.

"Dis guy scratched out the Muleberry street gang, alone."

"Is this true?" The cat asked Macavity.

He nodded. "I killed them all."

The orange cat could tell by his eyes that he was dead serious. He put his paw out. "Capaine."

After a moment Macavity shook with him. "Macavity."

Capaine glanced at his numerous wounds and wondered briefly why he was not cringing in pain. "Get this guy some medical help will ya, he's gonna bleed to death on my carpet."

Macavity was quickly led away to another room where he was administered care by a nice gray queen.

"You're lucky you know. Looks like you've gotten on the good side of the most powerful cat around." She told him.

Power. The word resonated through his mind. He liked the idea of being the most powerful cat around. Macavity decided that he would be sure to stay on Capaine's good side.

Later he was summoned to dinner with Capaine and his lieutenants.

"So why did you go and nearly get yourself killed knockoff that gang?" Capaine asked.

Macavity considered telling them he was a family tom but decided against it. "They attacked my block. I was one of the only survivors."

The rest of the dinner went rather well in Macavity's opinion. Afterward, he was asked to speak to Capaine privately.

He looked at Capaine and Capaine looked back, studying him.

"You tell a lot about people just by eating dinner with them you know." Capaine said. "Like you. You're quiet. Your speech is measured and diplomatic. You look around slowly, and you observe a lot. You can handle yourself and you know it, but you have some respect for authority. Not to mention that you have excellent taste."

This brought a tiny smile out of Macavity.

"You're serious but you have a light sense of humor. Know what, you got the right stuff. I can tell that you're smart, strong, and ruthless when you have to be. You would make a perfect gang leader." Capaine finished.

"Thank you." Macavity replied.

"I like you Mac, so I'm gonna teach you the trade. I'll tell you everything I know about running a gang."

"What's in it for you?" Macavity asked.

"What's in it for me? I get to retire knowing that all my hard work won't go down the toilet." Capaine said.

Capaine kept his promise. Macavity soaked up every bit of wisdom the orange tabby had to offer over the following two months. His new persona was interrupted by his past only once.

 

On a cloudless night he sat alone on a roof, looking at the moon. He allowed himself to feel that night, for it was a special occasion.

He spoke softly to himself.

"Happy birthday to me."

The sentimentalist inside him did not appear again for the rest of those two months.

 

Capaine and Macavity stood on the platform, waiting for the midnight train. "You know, I'm gonna miss this city. I'm gonna miss it a lot. But I can't wait to get to Paris. Rest and relaxation galore." Capaine said cheerfully. Macavity nodded in agreement.

The train noisily arrived. Capaine patted Macavity on the shoulder and said his goodbye.

"Don't let 'em kill you in your sleep kid."

"Don't worry, I won't. Enjoy Paris."

Capaine laughed. "Don't worry, I will."

Then he was gone. Macavity watched the train leave and then turned and left.

 

Macavity proved to be as good a gang leader as Capaine had predicted. At first, a few of his cats rebelled against the new leadership. A few lightning bolts in the right places quickly ended any disputes.

Macavity introduced great changes to the gang. One was a recruitment system. Representatives would be sent to the slums to get cats to join, only toms over one year of age of course.

Another major change was the bystander rule. No harming innocent queens or kits. This caused quite a few problems. Macavity decided that he would need some way to enforce this rule as his empire expanded. He searched out the most loyal cats in his ranks and made them his lieutenants. Each was given responsibility over a certain number of cats.

It was not too far from the truth when one said Macavity ran his gang like an army. He could devise intricate plans and also make quick decisive decisions. His rules were strict and punishable by death. He organized his rag tag cats into a feared force.

Other gangs were either forced to join, or terminated. Soon he controlled much of the feline crime in his part of the city.

One group of gangs proved a formidable threat however. Seeing Macavity's growing empire, they had made an alliance against him. He decided that they would have to be terminated.

He instructed his lieutenants to pick the best cats in their divisions. He then organized them into an elite group, which he referred to as the Raiders. There were ten in all. Macavity personally interviewed each of them. The first nine were pretty much typical thugs, who happened to be smarter and stronger than most. The tenth proved an interesting subject.

Macavity sat in his office, an old fan, and waited for the next chosen cat. He was mostly satisfied with the raiders that had been chosen thus far, though he thought some of them to be a little too untrustworthy. The next cat came in and stood at attention in front of him.

This one was different. He was a calico tom, with a lean build. He was very young, could not have been recruited more than two months previous. His coat was clean and he had a collar. Though rare, there were cats in Macavity's force that had owners. This was obviously one of them. His face looked unnatural without a smile, as though he were not meant to be as serious as he was now.

"Name?" Macavity asked.

"Mungojerrie." The calico responded.

"What division did you come from?"

"Nathwestern, sir."

"Where do you reside?"

"Victoria Grove, sir."

What was this spoiled, young tom doing in the raiders? Macavity thought. "Why were you selected?"

"'Ceptionable skills in burglary, loyalty, and intelligence, sir."

Macavity believed him.

"Do you have combat experience?"

"I've fought before, sir."

"Have you ever killed anyone?"

The calico paused.

"No, sir."

"Do you want to?"

This invoked a longer pause.

"Uh, no. Sir."

Macavity was not surprised in the slightest.

"Form up with the others outside."

"Yes, sir."

Mungojerrie left his office quickly. Macavity decided to keep him in the Raiders, albeit not permanently.

From Capaine, he had learned to study cats and to deduce their personality. Macavity could tell that Jerrie was loyal, and very intelligent. He also had a restless side to him that probably accounted for his joining the gang. He was also very playful, but he had shoved that part of him aside.

In short, Mungojerrie reminded him of himself as a young tom. The sentimentalist inside him decided that he would help the calico, after the big fight of course.

The next day Macavity personally led the raiders to the edge of their territory. This drew out their enemy. Soon they were faced by thirty or so mean looking cats hissing at them. Though outnumbered three to one, Macavity was confident. He had been practicing lately.

The three enemy leaders came stood in front of their gangs, sneering at Macavity.

"Ten cats! That's all the great Macavity could come up with!"

The enemy cats laughed viciously. Macavity chose that moment to strike. White lightning shot out of his paws into the enemy ranks. The first bolts cut down a third of the cats in front of them, including the leaders. The next barrage from Macavity took the enemy numbers down to eight. The survivors quickly fled.

Macavity had drained much of his energy in the attack, but it had been more effective than he had hoped. He gave the signal and the Raiders chased after the remains of the alliance.

A short fifteen minutes was all it took for the Raiders to return. A few of them had wounds, but all were in pretty good shape. Macavity then led the victorious force back to his headquarters. The next day, he disbanded the Raiders, having no more need for them. He sent all of them back to their divisions, except Mungojerrie. He instructed the calico to meet him in his office.

Jerrie stepped in and stood at attention nervously.

"At ease."

Jerrie did not look any less tense.

"How did you like the fight?"

Jerrie had no idea how to answer the question.

"Tell the truth Mungojerrie."

He did as he was told.

"I, I didna like it a all sir."

"I didn't think you would. Now, I'm assigning you a special mission. Have you any family in your division?"

Jerrie was more confused than ever. "Yes, sir. Me sister, Rumpleteaser."

"She will join you. You will spy on a particular clan that resides in the junkyard east of here."

"Yes, sir."

"You will not report to any superiors. You will report to headquarters, only if called upon. Understand?"

"Yes, sir." The calico looked relieved.

"I will lead you and your sister to the clan the day after next."

"Yes, sir."

"Go now."

Jerrie nodded and left.

The young tom would have made a fine lieutenant someday, but the Mephisto still inside Macavity wanted to save him. Plus it was good timing. He wanted to see his son's six-month celebration.

The day after next was a pleasant one. Jerrie and Teaser followed Macavity with out a word. Soon, they were at the edge of the jellicle junkyard.

"You are here. You know your mission, correct?"

"Yes, sir"

"Ay, sir."

"Good." With that Macavity left them. As soon as he was out of their view, he made himself completely invisible. It was a trick he'd been perfecting for a long time. He also masked his scent, and made sure that his breath would not be heard. For all intents and purposes, he was not there. He walked back to the jellicle junkyard.

He was slightly surprised by how well he remembered everything. It made sense; he had grown up there after all.

He took a seat on a pile of junk overlooking the area and surveyed the situation. There was Munku, an image of the perfect guardian. Beautiful Demeter sat next to him. There was Tugger, the flirt, surrounded by young queens. There were many young cats about, none of which Macavity knew. Then he saw him.

Macavity was surprised by how much his son was like him. Though a completely different color, his son's face and build were almost exactly like the young Mephisto's had been. His mannerisms and disposition were all there in the young tom. Had he been visible, Macavity would have beamed with pride.

Macavity watched as his son was celebrated for his six-months of age. He longed to be there with his son, to be the father that he never had the chance to be. He could only gaze lovingly at his son from a far, unseen and unheard. After the celebration, his son went off to play with some of the other kittens. Macavity stayed where he was, watching his ex-family-and-friends lounge about. While watching Demeter talk to Munku, he had a stroke of mischievousness. The invisible tom decided that a little revenge would be too sweet to pass up.

That night when Demeter left the junkyard to go to her home, Macavity followed. As soon as she was alone on the street, he disappeared and reappeared in front of her. She must have jumped three feet in the air.

"Hello, I am Macavity." He said politely.

Obviously she'd heard of him. Most cats had. She began to run away from him, but he simply transported to right in front of her. She gasped and froze in fear.

"Lovely night, isn't it?"

She tried to run the other way again, but Macavity was too quick.

"You're one of the prettiest queens I've ever seen you know." She was beginning to cry pathetically, so Macavity decided to end the prank.

"Tell your mate, I said hi."

With that, Macavity left. He smiled at the thought of how much that would tweak Munku. Demeter was unfaithful and Munku stole my post, he reasoned, so they deserve it. It was just a little harmless fun after all. Macavity returned that night in a good mood. Nightmares about his lost family however, quickly destroyed it, so he woke up sourly. It was nothing new. He always had nightmares about his family. Every night.

 

The next few months were good ones, in terms of conquest and profit that is. His name became legend. He could decide whether a cat lived or died in his vast area of influence. If he wanted a cat dead, that cat could count the number of days he had left on one paw.

Toms everywhere wanted to get on his good side. He was given countless gifts, invited to many a banquet, and received handshakes from more than a few feline celebrities.

Many queens approached him, but he generally declined. He did not want concubines or mistresses. Although, there was one major exception. A very surprising exception.

He was at a banquet hosted by one of his lieutenants in honor of one of his son's birthday. It took place in the lieutenant's home, while the owners were off on holiday. Cats were everywhere, many part of Macavity's force, and just as many not.

He was standing idly in the main room when a familiar queen came up to him smiling. At first he could not believe it, but then there she was, just like he remembered her.

Bombalurina.

Luckily, she did not recognize him as Mephisto. That would have been awkward. Instead she spoke to him seductively as she introduced herself.

"The great Macavity. I've always wanted to meet you. I'm Bombalurina." She cooed.

"Charmed." Macavity replied with a debonair smile. He could not resist being with her that night. It seemed as though he had finally won the contest he had started with Tugger so long ago.

The next morning he woke up curled up with her in his office. He sighed contently as he soaked in her warmth. She really was a jewel. Not as beautiful or precious as Grace had been, but a jewel nevertheless. She stirred and opened her eyes sleepily.

"Good morning beautiful." He said. He started to sing to her softly. His voice was hauntingly familiar to Bomb.

"Those fingers in my hair
That sly come-hither stare
That strips my conscience bare
It's witchcraft

And I've got no defense for it
The heat is too intense for it
What good would common sense for it do?

'cause it's witchcraft, wicked witchcraft
And although I know it's strictly taboo
When you arouse the need in me
My heart says "Yes, indeed" in me
"Proceed with what you're leadin' me to

It's such an ancient pitch
But one I wouldn't switch
'cause there's no nicer witch than you

'cause it's witchcraft, that crazy witchcraft
And although I know it's strictly taboo
When you arouse the need in me
My heart says "Yes, indeed" in me
"Proceed with what you're leadin' me to

It's such an ancient pitch
But one I'd never switch
'cause there's no nicer witch than you"

She laughed and looked into his eyes. Eyes; windows into the depths of one's being. She must have caught a glimpse of something, because she cocked her head to the side and looked at him quizzically.

"I feel as though I've known you all my life," she said.

"Trust me, the feeling's mutual." He replied.

Macavity enjoyed Bomb's company while it lasted. The queen began to drift away from him, as he had predicted. She left him without a word, and he accepted it. Shortly after she left, he realized that the jellicle ball was coming up. He had attended his first, and last as it would be, long ago, and he missed participating. He promptly decided to crash his ex-family-and-friends' party this year. He started planning his surprise.

 

Jellicle cats come out tonight, jellicle cats come one come all...

He may have been banished, but he was still a jellicle, wasn't he?

He decided to ponder it some other time.

His plan for the ball was a simply one; scare everybody, kidnap Dad, scare everybody again, then eventually release Dad after a few days. That would out a new spin on their precious ball. He summoned four of the original Raiders, the fastest ones, and briefed them one their mission the night before. He himself practiced the tricks he would have to do the next day.

It was going to be great fun, he could tell already.

Just before the ball he took his place on a high pile of junk, and made himself invisible and untraceable. Little did the jellicles know, he would be watching them the whole time.

The beginning of the ball was very much enjoyable. He sung along with all the choruses; he'd decided that one more deep voice would not be noticed. His son had grown and looked even more like him.

Jennyanydots was basically the cat she'd been when he was a kitten.

The Rum Tum Tugger had not lost a bit of his charm since their days of competition.

Grizabella paid them a visit, but unfortunately, she could not make herself invisible.

Bustopher Jones; was not much to say about him except that he was getting bigger. After that song Macavity gave everyone a quick scare.

Then to his delight he saw a familiar face. The calico tom Mungojerrie, and his sister Rumpleteaser came into the arena. Mungojerrie looked completely different with a goofy smile on his face all the time. Macavity was happy that he had tricked them into joining the jellicles, mostly because he could tell that they were a menace to Munku.

Then came his father, their beloved leader. He was bored throughout this song. His brother's telling of the awful battle of the Pekes and the Pollicles woke him up. He had to hand it to his little bro, he had done a good job.

He caused another scare after that. It was fun watching his ex-family-and-friends scurry away.

Then was the Jellicle Ball. He would have liked to join them in the dance, but unfortunate circumstances, his being banished for one, did not allow him. After that, Grizabella paid them another visit. Macavity realized that the two had some things in common; they were on the outside looking in, and they were both hated by their ex-family-and-friends.

His father gave a short sermon afterwards, which proved to be very boring. Gus came along for a little bit. It saddened Macavity to see how much the theatre cat had deteriorated. He had always liked Gus.

Here was Skimbleshanks! Finally some fun after the last two dreary songs. Macavity decided that it was time, so he interrupted the end of Skimble's song. It was quite easy to distract everyone while his Raiders catnapped Deuteronomy. While he sneered at everyone, he saw his son looking at him curiously. For a moment, one fleeting moment, he smiled at his son and gave him a wink. His son was very confused by this. Macavity could not help but laugh.

After he had made himself invisible again, he had planned to go tease his father, but he saw something that he did not want to miss.

Demeter and Bombalurina, two former loves, had begun to sing about him. He absolutely loved his song. The two beauties did a stellar performance. Oddly enough, having the two sing about him was his wildest fantasy. He guessed that they could come true after all.

After that, he disguised himself as his father and was welcomed into the arena with open arms. Almost. He did not know how, but Demeter caught him. He decided to just go with the flow after he was revealed. He decided to give Demeter the fright of her life by making as if her was going to catnap her. Munku came a running, and they had a short fight.

Macavity could have killed his brother. Easily. One quick lightning bolt and the gray-stripped tom would be fried. He did not want to kill anyone though. He still had a sentimental side.

So he beat Munku up, and also Alonzo shortly after. When everyone started to gang up on him, he decided to make his exit. He cut the power, and made himself invisible.

He was going to go tease his father, when he heard Tugger's voice. He went back to see what the hubbub was. Tugger sang of a magical cat, one that could help them in their time of peril. Macavity watched with interest.

And there was his son. His magical son. Macavity was never more proud in his life as his son showed off his talents. Then, at the finally, he returned Deuteronomy.

Macavity was not angered or saddened by this turn of events. He was overjoyed. His son had saved the jellicle leader. His son was a hero. The cat he loved more than life itself was prospering in the clan. His son, his little Mistoffeles, was going to be a great cat.

Grizabella came back after that. Her song was of mortality. The jellicles finally let her back into the clan. She was given a second chance by going to Heaviside.

He went back to his office that night, humming his song and thinking of his son.

 

Macavity often wanted a second chance. Another chance to be the cat he once was. The smart, cool Mephistopheles. But he knew he would never get that chance.

The game of life had dealt him a losing hand, but he was still playing. And he intended to win.

He went back to his office that night, humming his song and thinking of his son.