The True Alumnus of Hell 2: Graduation
By Daniel
Based on events from Part 1

~

Such confidence, such potential in that kit. Great things ahead for him. Definitely.

"Sir? Sir? Sir!?!"

Macavity looked at the tom in front of him very suddenly. His mind had been wandering again. It had happened more than a few times in the weeks since the ball.

"Oh, sorry. What were you saying Lieutenant?"

The gray tom ignored his leader's daydreaming out of respect, and began to speak.

"The other lieutenants and I wish to inquire on a particular circumstance."

"Go on."

"We would wish to know which one of us is to take command in your absence, should you be busy with more pressing matters."

"Yes, I have been thinking of that since we reached seventy-five recruits last week. I will address this matter tonight at dinner."

"Yes sir."

The gray tom promptly left, leaving Macavity alone in his office. He laid down and sighed. Since he crashed the last Jellicle Ball he'd been thinking of his son often. He wondered what his son was doing now. He thought of his ex-family-and-friends giving him a hero's treatment. How happy he must be right now. The thought made Macavity smile.

As the sun set, it became cooler as a breeze picked up. Macavity did not feel it however, as he made his way towards an abandoned apartment. As he came in his lieutenants stood at attention. He nodded at them as he sat down, and they followed suit. A younger black queen came through and served them all portions of the finest fish a cat could steal. The toms gave Macavity updates on their division. Then when the fish was gone they looked at him expectantly.

"I have chosen a vice general and another lieutenant to take his place."

The cats leaned in and stared at him with anticipation.

"Leod, you will be vice general."

Leod, a black cat with brown stripes, smiled at him respectfully.

"Thank you sir."

"In the event that the lieutenant I have chosen declines, you will choose your replacement." Macavity continued.

The gray cat who had spoken to him earlier laughed.

"No cat in our ranks would decline a lieutenant position!"

Macavity simply looked at him.

"That's the thing, he's no longer in our ranks."

 

The next day was warm and windy. Mungojerrie strolled into the junkyard with a fish in his mouth that he had caught for his sister. The fish was thrown clear however, when he lurched away from the figure that had stepped out in front of him.

"Hello again Mungojerrie."

Jerrie quivered and leaned away from Macavity, poised to flee, although he knew that if the ginger cat wanted to kill him he would do so with ease. Jerrie stammered out a fearful question.

"Are, are ya gonna off me?"

"No. I have a question for you."

"Sir?"

"Would you like to head the Northwestern division?"

"Ya mean, as a lutenent?"

"Yes."

Jerrie looked very confused, and obviously did not know how to answer.

"Answer honestly. If you decline, you will be disbanded and exiled."

"Exiled to where?"

"The Jellicle Junkyard."

Jerrie looked at him queerly. Then he stood up and spoke in a determined voice.

"I will choose exile with the Jellicles."

Of course you will, Macavity thought. The spoiled young did not know how lucky he was. Macavity shoved his jealousy aside and continued.

"Go then, your sister is also disbanded and exiled."

"Ay, sir."

At that, Mungojerrie hurried away. Macavity allowed himself a moment of bitterness. He mumbled under his breath.

"You're welcome."

He regained his disposition and took a deep breath. He then cloaked himself, making him completely untraceable. He followed Jerrie's trail into the junkyard.

When he came to the main entrance he peeked inside. Many kittens were around, but not his son. He spied Munku on the tire as usual. Macavity had an irresistible urge and focused on his little brother for a moment. Suddenly, his collar disappeared and reappeared on an old car antenna. Macavity watched with delight as Alonzo came over and inquired on this. Munku was visibly disturbed to see that his collar had apparently decided to be somewhere other than his neck. Macavity held in a laugh and started away from the junkyard. Then he saw Demeter coming the other way. Seizing the opportunity, he quickly put a small blue lightning bolt between her eyes.

 

Demeter moaned as she woke up. She found her self lying in an old shack. It was bare save for a desk and two broken windows. She began to panic, but stopped when she felt a soft paw on her back. A familiar voice cooed near her.

"Shhhh. Calm down, its alright."

She breathed a sigh of relief.

"Oh Munk, thank Heaviside its you."

"I'm afraid your mate is still searching the junkyard for you."

She got up and turned face to face with Macavity. She sprang back and looked around for an exit. The only door was closed and the broken glass on the windows was jagged. Her gaze came back to Macavity, and she prepared herself to fight if necessary. Macavity simply laughed.

"Don't worry, I'm not going to touch you, unless you want me to."
She scowled at him.
He laughed again. His laugh was remarkably familiar to Dem and she let her guard down a little when she heard it.
"Still no sense of humor. Anyway, the only reason I brought you here is so you can do me a favor. Well, and to bother your mate too."

Demeter's voice was desperate.

"What do you want?"

What do I want? How about my damn life back! Macavity showed nothing to betray what was going through his mind. Instead, his tone became business-like.

"I want you to deliver something for a good friend of mine."

Demeter seemed to have trouble believing he had friends. He ignored her and continued.

"I believe you know him, or knew him anyway. You definitely know his son. He is black and white, and a little on the short side."

"Misto!"

"Exactly. I want you to give this to him"

Macavity produced a diamond-studded collar seemingly out of nowhere. Demeter showed a look of bafflement. She cautiously took the collar.

"You can go now."

The door opened. Demeter peered out nervously.

"Don't worry, I've ordered everyone to leave you alone."

Demeter looked back at Macavity for a moment, and then sprinted away. Macavity returned to his desk. Watching his former love sleep had brought him back to the old days, when he had been Mephisto. He was glad she had not recognized him. He did not want his ex-family-and-friends to know the truth. Yet.

 

The next weeks past by uneventfully. Macavity's gang had entered a golden age. His part of the city had stabilized and there was little he could do to improve his empire. He also began training his vice general in being a gang leader. Leodostien shared his level of intelligence, as well as certain special abilities. Remembering how Capaine had taught him, he instructed Leod in everything there was to know about running the empire.
He found himself thinking more and more about his son. One day he decided to pay the Jellicles a visit. He cloaked himself and strode into the junkyard, careful not to bump into anyone. He found that the amount of gossip one could hear when invisible was staggering. He learned many of the younger cats' names, as well as a lot of news about those he knew. He saw Plato walk out of the yard with Teaser and decided to follow. Teaser gave his brother a rub and then walked away. As Plato watched her go, Macavity crept over to him.

Suddenly, Plato turned and looked right at Macavity. He knew that he was invisible, but it still seemed as though Plato were looking into his eyes. Then Plato spoke.

"Hi Phisto."
This startled Macavity so bad he let his cloak down. He awkwardly stared at Plato for a second, and then spoke in a shaky voice.

"How did you know it was me?"
Plato smiled his trademark shy, modest smile and spoke very quietly.

"You're not the only one in the family with special powers."

"You're a magical cat too!"

Plato nodded.

"Albeit, I'm gifted in different ways. I'm better at feeling out other cats' emotions and presences. You, I can only assume, are better with manipulating the physical world."

Macavity had always known that Plato was smart, but he had never expected this.

"You never told anyone."

"Neither did you."

Macavity shrugged at this and sat next to his brother, feeling companionship for the first time in a while.

"Have you told anyone, about me?"

"No. I figured you did not want us to know."

They sat next to each other, both staring at his feet. It was the closest they had ever been.

"I like what you did to your fur."

Macavity had to laugh at this.

"I never suspected So, how is everything?"

Plato shrugged.

"Good. The kittens are growing up. I'm with Rumpleteaser. Demeter is-"

Macavity interrupted him.

"Rumpleteaser? You're with Rumpleteaser?"

"Yeah."

"You don't know it, little bro, but you owe me big. What were you going to say about Demeter?"

"She's pregnant."

They were both silent for a moment.

"Huh. How much longer?"

"Any day now. She's been bearing for a while. Munku almost had a heart attack when she, well, you know."

"Heaviside. I thought she was a little twitchier than usual, but I had no idea she was carrying a litter."

"By the way, what was that about?"

"I wanted to give my, I mean I wanted to get this thing to this cat's son, see, he, uh, it was a present, and..."

For the first time in his life Macavity's speech was jumbled. Plato was not fooled a bit.

"Is it, Misto?"

Macavity took a deep breath and nodded.

"I always suspected that he might be yours."

"You won't tell anyone, will you?"

"Should I?"

Macavity sighed.

"No. It's best that know one knows, it would ruin him."

"I don't know about that Phisto."

Macavity twitched at the mention of his old name but went on.

"I'm not exactly a picture perfect tom. No, best to leave him out of it."

"OK.

Macavity sensed Teaser coming and quickly cloaked himself. Teaser walked up to Plato with a queer look.

"Were you talkin ta someone?"

"No."

She and Plato went back into the arena. Plato nodded at Macavity before he left. Macavity walked out of the junkyard and returned to his office.

 

The next week was dull for Macavity. The weekend he snuck away from his office and headed towards the Jellicle Junkyard for some action.

It was an overcast day with a chilly breeze. He found the Junkyard mostly empty save for a few who dared to venture out under threat of rain. He found his oldest brother in an isolated part of the yard near the arena. Macavity sat undetected as Skimble came through, giving a few kind words to Munku.

"Congrats on the Kittens lad!"

Skimble continued into the arena merrily, leaving Munku alone. Mavity uncloaked himself and tapped on Munku's tail. Munku turned around curiously and, upon seeing the ginger tom in front of him, shifted into a combat crouch, hissing.

"Congrats Munkustrap."

"What do you want?"

Munku spat the words out through a fierce scowl.

"How many? How is Demeter? How's Alonzo taking it?"

"What do you want!?!"

"Heaviside, calm down. I just wanted to know how your new family was doing, that's all."

Munku snarled.

"What do you care about family?"

"I myself had four kittens."

"They're probably as demented as you are."

Munku immediately regretted saying that, as he flew backwards through the air propelled by some unseen force. He crashed hard into an old fender, and fell on the ground in a heap. He sorely stood up and looked at Macavity with a pained expression. Macavity spoke in a slow, dangerously quiet voice.

"Don't you ever insult them again. If you do, I will kill you."

Munku believed him as a wave of pain swept up and down his spine. Macavity was about to stalk away when his son came around the corner. Misto looked at Macavity, then to Munku who had fallen over, and back to Macavity. Misto's voice was underlaid with fear, but firm.

"Don't hurt him."

Macavity smiled at his son warmly.

"Tell you what kit, I'll fight you for him."

Misto seemed shaken, but proceeded to ready himself for a fight.

"Don't underestimate me."

Macavity smirked.

"Don't worry kit, I won't."

Misto immediately shot a bolt of lightening from his paw, aimed for Macavity's chest. The bolt would have stopped his heart, had Macavity not lunched himself to the side and cloaked himself in one fluid motion. He crept to the sidelines as Misto blindly shot lightening into the ground where he had last been seen. Too late did Misto detect Macavity's presence, for the younger cat was hurled into the air. He managed to land on his feet, but was knocked over by another invisible blow. Misto rolled over and disappeared. Macavity wasted a moment looking for him in vain, but he did not see his son until he was on top of the elder, raking his claws down his back. Unfortunately for Misto, Macavity did not feel the pain, and he was thrown from the bigger tom's back. Misto tried to get off another lightening bolt, but he found himself pinned to an old mattress. Though there was nothing on him, it felt as thought he was trapped under a box of lead weights. Macavity caught his breath and smiled at his son.

"I win."

Misto struggled off the couch and fell at Macavity's feet. When Macavity turned towards Munku, his son yelled out in a horse voice.

"No! Please, take me instead. Leave him alone. Leave him alone."

Macavity looked down at his son with a wistful expression. He murmured just loudly enough for Misto to hear.

"Just like your mother."
Misto stared at the ginger tom with a confused expression. Macavity grinned at him.

"Not bad kit. He's yours."

Then Macavity cloaked himself and left.

 

A few days went by and Macavity's wounds healed, adding a few new scars to his extensive collection. He was sitting in his office, contemplating a sardine, when on of his Lieutenants padded in.

"What is it?"

"We've picked up a cat sir, he says he wants to see you."

"Who is it?"

"Nobody important. Some young tom from west of here."

Macavity thought for a moment.

"Send him in."

"Yes, sir."

A few moments later Misto cautiously stepped into Macavity's office.

"We meet again. Why have you graced me with your presence kit?"

Misto looked apprehensive, but also very curious.

"I, I want to know about my mother."

They were both silent for a long time. Misto stared at him, and he stared back. Macavity took a deep breath and began to speak.

"I knew your mother back right after you were born. Her mate was a good friend of mine.

Misto was listening intently, so Macavity continued.

"Her name was Grace."

Macavity spent the next fifteen minutes describing Grace to his son. He spoke with a far away look in his eyes, and would often laugh when relating stories about her. When he was finished, Misto asked the inevitable question.

"Where is she now?"

Macavity looked at him, and then walked out of the office into the cold wind.

"Follow me."

The two walked to the vicarage together, where Macavity lead Misto to Grace's resting place. Misto stood over the grave in deep thought, as if trying to contact his long lost mother.

"Savage strays broke into your home when you were a week old. Your mother and your siblings were murdered."

Misto looked at Macavity.

"What about my father?"

Macavity was thoughtful for a moment.

"He went to avenge his family. No one has heard from him since."

It was the truth, from a certain point of view. He'd become Macavity after that fateful day, thus ending Mephistopheles' existence.

"What was his name?"

Macavity stared at him for a long moment.

"Ask your uncles."

"My uncles?"

"Munkustrap, Alonzo, Plato, and Rum Tum Tugger."

Misto was speechless. He had gone from being an orphan with no relatives, to being a member of the most prominent family in the Jellicles.

"How come they never told me?"

"They don't know."

Misto showed a look of bafflement.

"How could they not know?"

"Well, your father was banished before you were born. When he gave you up, he changed your fur color so you would not be associated with him."

"You mean I'm not really black and white?"

"Well, yes, you are. But you weren't when you were born."

It was a lot for Misto to swallow. Macavity patted him on the back and led the confused young tom towards the Jellicle Junkyard.

"I hope you found some of what you were looking for kit."

Misto nodded a thanks and went into the junkyard. Macavity wearily trudged to his office home. Talking of his past had been hard on him, but it had also had a healing quality. He was exhausted, and emotionally drained.

The next day at noon he rushed over to the Jellicle Junkyard to see if his son had inquired on his ancestry. It turns out he was just in time to see it himself. Misto was talking with Munku, Alonzo, and Plato. Macavity cloaked himself and crept closer. Munku was talking to Misto.

"What did you want to ask us?"

"Did you three ever have, another brother?"
Munku and Alonzo were visibly shaken at the question. Neither of them seemed fit to answer the question so Plato piped up.

"His name was Mephistopheles."

Munku gave his little brother a mean look and turned to Misto a little agitated.

"What does it matter?"

"I think he was my father."

Alonzo replied loudly.

"What makes you think that?"

Misto did not reply, but waved his paws over his chest. The spell that Macavity had thought to be permanent came off, revealing Misto's true colors. The resemblance was unmistakable. Misto could have passed for his father easily. The three brothers reeled back at this revelation. After a moment, Misto changed back to his black and white color scheme, looking uncomfortable under the stares of his uncles. Munku did not look Misto in the eye, but addressed Alonzo.

"I'm calling a meeting immediately."

Macavity left after that, knowing that it wouldn't be long before his son was persecuted. He knew what he had to do.

The entire tribe was assembled that night, under a full moon. Munku and his father sat on the tire, with Misto standing off to the right of them. Munku began to speak.

"It has been confirmed that Mistoffeles is the son of Mephistopheles, who has been banished from the Jellicles for over a year. According to Jellicle law, his descendents are no longer accepted in the Jellicle tribe. And so-"

"Asinine!"

A voice boomed out from a top one of the arenas walls. There stood Macavity. He stared at the Jellicles with a confident look.

"That kit has committed no crime."

Munku got over the shock of seeing his enemy and retorted loudly.

"You have no business here villian."

"You'd banish your own nephew?"

"He's his father's son."

Macavity was getting angry.

"He's his uncle's nephew too!"

Munkustrap blinked, but ignored this statement.

"In Jellicle tradition, his family will be charged with treason until the offender renounces his crimes."

Macavity could see he was getting nowhere so far. Finally his frustration overtook him.

Renounce his crimes? That's what this is all about? FINE!"

With that, he changed back into his original form. The crowd gasped. Demeter cried out in shock.

"No! It can't be you!"

Mephisto gave her a cynical look.

"Fly me to the moon, baby."

The Jellicles scurried out of his way as he walked towards the tire. Alonzo moved to intercept, but something unseen tossed him aside. Mephisto leaped up on to the tire and addressed the Jellicles in a loud, almost hysterical voice.

"I renounce my crimes to Jellicle Tradition! I acknowledge that my ideas for radical change and reform are wrong, and I apologize forever bringing them up! I feel remorse and regret for my hard-headedness and my shortsightedness in the matter of my promotion to Guardian! I officially surrender my post to my eldest brother Munkustrap, and I accept my place and purpose in the clan! I admit to planning to reform the tribal system, and I renounce these plans and the ideas that lead to them!"

He was breathing rapidly now, and his fury was subsiding.

"There, you have it. Now leave my son alone."

Munkustrap was thrown off balance by the outburst but continued to persecute his brother with firm conviction.

"You are a known gang leader, responsible for the majority of the crime in the city."

Mephisto shrugged. Munku continued.

"You also lead a full fledged attack on the Jellicles during the last Ball."

Mephisto scoffed.

"Please. You cats have no sense of humor. I could have killed all of you easily, alone, if I had wanted to."

Munku did not believe him.

"The Hell you could."

Suddenly he ducked as a bolt of lightening shot over his head and into the old car. Everyone screamed and instinctively ducked. The bolt emanating from Mephisto lingered there for twenty seconds before it stopped. There on the trunk two words had been carved into the steel by the intense heat.

Believe it

Mephisto smirked at his brother.

"Don't worry, I just like to tick you off sometimes. In return for the banishment."

The crowd's gaze followed him as he went to where his son was standing.

"Don't worry about this one either. He wouldn't hurt a fly, there's too much of his mother in him. You can visit her in the Vicarage Graveyard."

The stunned crowd was silent. A lot had been revealed to them in the last two minutes. Macavity continued.

"By the way, I resigned my post as general. My vice general was all too happy to take my place. If you gonna put my son on trial, might as well do me too."

It was Old Deuteronomy's turn to speak. His deep voice instantly commanded the attention of the Jellicles.

"Order in the arena! I believe that it is clear that Mistoffeles is no threat to our tribe. He is to be treated as a Jellicle, and as a member of my family."

There were many hoots and hollers of agreement from the crowd. Misto looked relieved.

"As for Mephistopheles, your life is very much unknown to us. Perhaps you would like to relate to us what happened after your sentence, and why you chose your life of crime."

Mephisto nodded, and proceeded to tell the story of his life.

When he was finished, the Jellicles were all silent with their thoughts.

Deuteronomy spoke again.

"Never before have I heard of a feline life so filled with tragic circumstance. Though your actions are justified somewhat by your misfortunes, that does not entirely make up for your deep association with feline crime. In light of this most unusual judgment, I will leave it to the masses to decide upon your fate. All who side with Mephisto, will stand on the west end of the Junkyard, all who oppose on to the east."

Mephisto proceeded to the west side and the crowd shied away from him, gathering on the east side. All was silent and no one moved.

He was about to give up hope that anyone would side with him, when a tom stepped foreword.

Jerrie walked to him and declared his allegiance.

"I will stand by my general."

Teaser ran after him.

"Me too."

Misto came foreword next with Plato close behind.

"I will stand by my father.

"I will stand by my brother.

The Rum Tum Tugger came next.

"So will I."

Misto's eyes pleaded to Victoria and she shyly came forward.

"I will stand by him."

Skimble ambled after her.

"I say yay."

Bombalurina came next.

"I will too."

Jemima took a few cautious steps, and then went over.

"Me too."

Pouncival came after, followed by his brother Tumble. Coricopat and Tantomile also came. Asparagus and Admetus came as well, followed by Electra, Etcetera, and Exotica. The rest eventually followed, and Mephisto's charges were lifted. Under the bright moon, he became a Jellicle once more.

~

Most of the Jellicles would shy away from him for months to come, but the Macavity image soon faded away. Mephisto would learn later that his empire peacefully broke up soon after his resignation. The cats in the city would remember Macavity as the best gang leader there ever was

Mephisto mostly kept to himself, but still kept his witty, suave side about him. Munkustrap, Demeter, and a few other more uptight Jellicles would never get close to him, but he enjoyed the company of Plato, Rum Tum Tugger, Mungojerrie, and, of course, Misto

Life had dealt him a losing hand, but he had kept playing. Macavity won big in fame and power, but Mephisto would reap in the big prize in happiness and closure.

~