Couple of Cats
by JestaAriadne
October 2001 to January 2002(?)

Dedicated to Nemblewhiska and Pouncikit for your continuing support & e-mails & great fics both of you!

My very favourite couple: Mungojerrie and Rumpelteazer "a most unlikely Romeo and Juliet"! Not the most oroginal premise in the world, but I tried me best!

Oh yes, and I STILL do not own the CATS characters and I am not associated with but very grateful to everyone who does and who created them.

~

The kitten's name was Mungojerrie. He was very proud of his name; that and his life was all his parents had ever been able to give him. Their lives had been ended by- who knew? A car taking the bend too fast, or a lorry driver just not looking where he was going? He never found out for sure. And his was a life he was not able to keep easily. From two months old he had been alone, and if it wasn't for Macavity he probably would have died very shortly after his parents. The irony was, of course, that Macavity, having so kindly taken him in and saved his life, was in a position to very easily take that life away - at any time - should he so choose.

The kitten, although still less than eight months old, was fully aware of his situation. It was something he tried not to worry about; there was nothing to be gained through worrying, but behind his normally fairly optimistic appearance, he was worried. He did know that most cats, especially kittens his age, were not forced to run errands for, do chores for, steal for the Napoleon of Crime. And that was certainly an apt name. Mungojerrie didn't know anything about Napoleon, but reasoned he must have been pretty powerful, judging by his namesake. You couldn't disobey Macavity. You could not. Mungojerrie had seen with his own eyes what had happened to two cats who had once tried. And neither could he escape from the bondage he seemed to have trapped himself in.

Today though, as he walked along the road with a vague intention of bothering some humans for food in the park, he was not unduly worried about anything. This was an exciting new season for him! The days were getting shorter, a varicoloured carpet covered the pavement and it was colder than it had been; the dull, muted cold of early October, heralding the approaching winter. He had made a new and fun discovery - leaves. He kicked them up as he skipped jovially along, enjoying the explosion of colour and the crunching noise. Then-

"Oy! Owch!"

"Wha'? 'Oo's there?" Mungo looked around, confused, for the source of the voice that had just piped up.

"Oi'm daown 'ere!"

He looked down to see her; a small kitten, perhaps a month or so younger than him, lying in the leaves. Her fur was red, orange, yellow, brown, cream, gold - a riot of cheerful brights, like the leaves, like his own fur. She was staring at him with a pair of wide open, completely unconcerned green eyes as if there was nothing at all unusual about napping buried in leaves.

"Well 'ello. 'Ow long 'ave you been lyin' there? Someone could step on ya!"

The young queen giggled, a bright, high little sound, and one that was immediately intoxicating. Mungo felt himself grin.

"Yer the first." she said simply. Then, "Wha's your naime?"

"Mungojerrie."

"Tha's a noice naime. Oi'm Rumpelteaza."

"Hi. You ain't got a collar."

"Neither 'ave you."

"Nah..." He scratched his ear, getting the feeling the conversation was going rather downhill. Then he made it worse. "Where d'you live? 'Oo're yer parents?"

"Ain't got none."

"Oh... Oi'm sorry."

"S'OK," she said, getting to her feet. "Oi'm OK"

"Oi ain't got no parents neither. S'tough, ain't it? When-"

"Did they die? My dad- Oi dunno. 'E just left, Oi suppose, ages ago. My mum- a coupla weeks ago."

So recent. Mungo looked at her for a moment in silent sympathy.

"Loike Oi told ya, Oi'm OK." He was surprised to see she was smiling. And this time her smile was nearer to making him cry. "Oi'm alive, ain't Oi? An' there's sunlight an' moonlight an' lotsa leaves ta plaiy in." A little giggle burst out again and she scooped up a pile of leaves and flung them into the air.

Yeah, there maiy be lotsa sunlight naow, but it's gettin' colda an' colda. They saiy "winter's" comin' soon, whatevva that is.

"'Ere, Oi know a plaice where-" He stopped, wondering what he was going to say. He knew what he should be saying. Macavity's cats were not encouraged to associate with those outside the Hidden Paw, and if they did it was usual to bring the cat to Macavity. There they would be given the option of joining Macavity, or else- well, or else, thought Mungo. Macavity never exactly needed to spell things out. There was no way that he was seriously going to get this laughing kitten involved with that. Instead he continued: "-where we can 'ave some fun 'assling the 'umans, an' there's food fer the takin' if we're lucky."

"Yeah, OK! Where is it? Oi'll race ya!" Rumpelteazer jumped up and bounced around excitably.

Mungo looked slightly skeptically at the other kitten; she was hardly more than half his size. He did not, however, notice the rather sly smile unfolding on her pointed white face.

"'Ow 'bout to the end o' the road?" he suggested, "See 'ow fast you are."

"Yer on."

She dashed off, covering what looked to be about half the distance in a second flat. When Mungo arrived at the finish ten seconds later, she yawned elaborately and stretched.

"Wasn't - fair," Mungo puffed. "You- 'ad a - 'eadstart!"

For the next few streets, Mungo was given the headstart and lost anyway.

"You wanna give it up now, Mungojerrie?" Rumpelteazer giggled as he panted up behind her.

"OK- but - only cos yer gettin' tired. Oi - let ya win - y'know..."

"Yer impossible!"

They walked through the open iron gates. The park was a kitten's dream world: pigeons to chase, dogs on leads to tease, several humans brave or stupid enough to eat outside, even in such weather... Lots of food.... Hot dog stands, ice cream stands, pigeon food stands, fish and chips in newspaper carelessly chucked in bins, children with lollipops, squashed sandwiches.... And all their's for the taking.

Mungo decided to teach her the basics.

"Righ'" he said. "Jus' watch wha' Oi do. This is 'ow t'get food from picnics..."

He walked nonchalantly to the back of likely looking family seated on a plaid tarpaulin. Easy meat, really. They were all facing the same way. And the hamper behind them was wide open. He fixed his eyes on a packet of chicken sandwiches. Focus.... He began to creep slowly towards it. Slowly, carefully... Focus... making as little noise as possible... Concentrate, focus, and then-

"Heeheeheehee!" That broke his concentration. His eyes slid up over the top of the hamper, to the family, to the family who were still facing forwards, paying all their attention to... Rumpelteazer!

She was sitting comfortably on the tarpaulin, purring and making wide eyes at the human child who was patting her. And feeding her. Mungo's mouth dropped open.

"'Ey!" he yelled, "Tha's not 'ow yer supposed t'do it!"

"It works though, doesn' it?" She giggled again and opened her mouth to recieve more food.

"Well... Oi guess tha's one way of doin' it..." He shrugged, walked over to join her and acted sweet.

* * * * *

Evening shadows stretched across the almost deserted park. Two kittens remained, chasing each other around a monkey puzzle tree, chatoyant coats shining in the dying light. A light giggle pierced the air. Perhaps to human ears it would sound simply like a little purr, to Mungojerrie it was already the sound of happiness and mad jubilee. It had been a very enjoyable day.

"Yer fun, Mungo," said Rumpelteazer, trying to stifle a yawn. Cats often stay up all night, but then, they don't often spend all day awake and active. "Can Oi come and plaiy t'morrow? Where d'you live?"

Um... Well, actually Oi live in the basement of a deserted 'ouse in some ol' dark alley with a load of daown-an'-outs an' alley cats... What was he supposed to say? "Well... 'Ow 'bout we meet up 'ere again?"

"Yeah, OK." She didn't seem to notice anything strange... "Oi'll be goin' back to... my...um...."

His brain had taken a while, but it finally grasped the other problem. "Where you staiyin'?" he asked.

She giggled. "Oi was koinda plannin' on a poile of leaves."

He raised his eyebrows. "'Ave you though' 'bout where yer gonna live when it gets colda?"

"Not really. Well... can Oi stay with you fer the noight?"

WHERE?? "Er yeah... OK. We moight as well staiy around 'ere. 'Ow 'bout tha' li'l plaiyground thingy over there?"

"Right." Rumpelteazer shot him a glance which was probably saying something along the lines of "you're a foine one talk abou' good plaices to sleep...this ain't where you normally staiy, is it?"

Or maybe it was just a look, and Mungo's imagination.

* * * * *

They stayed in the playground that night. And the next night. And the next. In fact it was fast becoming their permanent home. By day, they raced each other around the park; Teazer always won, Mungo always insisted he let her win They practiced charming the humans and begging their food from them; although perhaps this was unnatural and degrading for a cat, any qualms Mungo had soon vanished as he saw the vast world of gourmet opened to him

And of course he was trying his hardest to ignore the nagging feeling that Macavity would not be well pleased that he had apparently deserted, and his worries too quickly turned to what might happen when they met again - IF we meet again. He hadn't told Rumpelteazer anything about it, and was just hoping he'd never have to.

* * * * *

"'Ey, kit!"

A heavy paw cuffed Mungojerrie on the back of his head and almost knocked him down. He regained his balance and turned reluctantly to face his attacker, feeling his stomach plummetting as he recognized the voice.

"'Ey, 'Gustus," he said with as much cheerfulness as he could muster. Augustus. What a name for that hulking, sycophantic bully.

"Wouldn't be smilin' if I was you," Augustus growled, taking another swipe at the younger tom. "The boss wants ter see you. Wants ter know where you been for the past week."

This was NOT meant to 'appen thought Mungojerrie, desperately trying to think of a plausible excuse. "Oi been sick. 's not my fault," he whined.

Augustus guffawed. "Try that one on Macavity and 'e'll skin yer. More like you been busy with that there l'il queen." He jerked his head at Rumpelteazer who was standing motionless a yard or so behind Mungo. "What's yer name then, kitty?"

Mungo stepped protectively in front of Teazer and growled at the other, teeth bared. "Tha's none o' your business."

Augustus knocked Mungo aside. "Can't she speak fer 'erself?"

"Course Oi can!" Teazer yelled, "An' Oi say you moind yer own business cos my naime's my own!"

Both the kittens glared defiantly at Augustus, but he only laughed again.

"Don't keep 'im waiting, kit. Come on."

"Yeah" Mungo murmured vaguely, "Tell 'im Oi'll be there tonight."

"I don't think so. Yer comin' with me now, OK?" , Augustus made to grab at Mungo, but he dodged neatly and spoke urgently to Rumpelteazer.

"Oi'll see you back at - the 'ouse, right?"

Teazer's big green eyes showed confusion for a split second as he prayed she would understand. Then she gave a tiny nod. "Yeah- back at the 'ouse."

Augustus marched Mungo away.

* * * * *

The main room was full of cats and a horrible smell that Mungojerrie had never really gotten used to. Augustus shoved him forward yelling, "Look at this, you lot! Li'l Jerrie's back!"

Raucous laughter greeted his words. Mungo felt sick. "And 'e's even got 'imself a nice li'l scrap of a queen!"

More laughs. He was really not sure how he'd survived months like this. And he felt anger surging up in him. You couldn't "get" Rumpelteazer!

"Why you so quiet, Jerrie? Ain't you got nothing to say to yer old pals?"

"Yeah, tell us about this queen, ey?"

They were all looking at him. They were all smiling broadly. Cats here always smiled. No one here was ever friendly. Behind each apparently innocent remark or question was always a trap or a cruel joke, and a casual insult could turn into violent brawl in no time. Loife on the edge... Mungo thought, an' they say it's excoitin'. Scary's more loike it- an' 'orrible...

"We'll 'ave a guess then, shall we? Is she a calico?"

Mungo shook his head.

"Persian?"

"Burmese?"

Everyone laughed again. Angora, siamese, maine coone... It was childish really- just a stupid guessing game, unless you gave the wrong answer. Mungo wasn't intending to say anything at all.

"Is she an 'ouse cat?"

Mungo thought fast and then said: "Yeah. She's an -'ouse cat. Yeah."

"Ey! Jerrie's got an 'ouse cat! Jerrie's got an 'ouse cat!"

Safer they thought that. Another stray would be much more vulnerable. Croipes vulnerable? Teaza?? He thought of her laugh, her pretty pointed face, the way she could always beat him in a race and he'd hardly mind- the way she was always up for a mock fight over a scrap of food She was great- and surely she'd be like that forever? Vulnerable? He honestly didn't know.

He was led into a sort of ante room, apparently to wait there until Macavity deemed fit to allow him into his almighty presence... Teaza... Vulnerable? Any more at risk than him? What could two street cats do to defend themselves anyway?

He was almost relieved when someone interuptted his thoughts by shouting, "You! Mungojerrie! Macavity'll see you now."

 

Macavity always gave the impression that every single other living creature in the world was a personal insult to him. The most sophisticated of alley cats, he had somehow managed to preserve an almost aristocratic persona under the tangle of ginger fur. He was seated comfortably on a velvet armchair from which he stared down distastefully at the smaller cat entering the room.

"Good morning, Mungojerrie." There was practically an audible sneer as he pronouced the name.

"G'mornin'..."

"I was getting rather worried about you. I haven't seen you for over a week. Where have you been?"

Nevva one to beat abou' the bush, is 'e? Mungo took a deep breath and said with as much confidence as he could find: "Truth is, Oi've met a queen an' Oi was koinda thinkin' we'd staiy together naow." There was no point at all in lying. There were literally scores of cats willing to get in Macavity's good books by spying on anyone they were asked to.

"Is that so?"

"Yeah. Oi'd loike t'saiy Oi'm real graiteful for all you've given me, an 'ome an' food an' all. But Oi don' want ter be any trouble to ya, so Oi think Oi'll move on now." There. He'd said it. He exhaled as quietly as possible and waited for the response.

It was a long time coming. Macavity seemed to be thinking the matter over carefully, nodding to himself and smiling.

"Very good, Mungojerrie." Wha' is 'is problem with my naime?!? "I'd agree that you're perhaps outgrowing kittenhood and if you don't want to stay here, I'll not keep you."

Mungo was trying very hard not to let his amazement show on his face. Was that it? Had he just been released from the Hidden Paw, no questions?

"Erm, thanks, Macavity. Shall Oi go now?"

Macavity seemed to have lost interest in the issue. "Yes, yes. Goodbye."

Mungo was nearly out of the doorway when Macavity stopped him.

"And, Mungojerrie? Report to me once a week from now on."

* * * * *

Well, what had he expected? He kicked irritably at the leaves littering the streets on the way back to the park. Could 'ave been a lot worse... Kick, crunch...Could 'ave been a lot betta too! He walked through the park gates and headed towards the playground.

"Rumpelteaza?" he called.

No response.

He walked around the slide, puzzled. "'Ey, Teaza, where are ya?"

A small head appeared out of a heap of leaves in a corner of the wire fence. "Oh, 's you, Mungo! 'Ey there!"

"What you doing in there?"

She shrugged and giggled. "Erm, nappin'?"

He shook his head. "Yer mad. Come on then, get outta there. Wanna go get some lunch or somethin'?"

"How 'bout you go? Oi'm tired." She gave a huge fake snore.

"You OK?" Mungo asked, frowning.

"Yeah, foine."

"Yer not gonna sit in them leaves all daiy are ya?"

"Um..."

"Teaza what's the matter?" Getting no reply, he ran towards her and started to brush the leaves away.

She tried to push him away, protesting. "No! 'Ey, Mungo! Don't-"

His gasp cut her short. "Yer hurt! Wha' 'appened?"

Teazer twisted away from him, trying to hide the cuts in her shoulder.

"Oi slipped on the-"

"Those are claw marks!" he cried.

"No they're not..."

"Yeah they are!" Oi should know. Oi've seen enough. "Wha' 'appened? Tell me! No secrets, Teaz!"

No secrets! He could have kicked himself after that, but that Rumpelteazer did it for him.

"No secrets?" she laughed, "You come back from some mystery cat's 'ouse after being dragged off by some other cat Oi've nevva 'eard of withou' a word of explanaition an' saiy no secrets?"

"Oh Cat, Teaza, Oi'm sorry! Oi shoulda told ya but Oi really didn't want to, Oi wanted to ferget it. Oi'll tell ya now though, OK? No secrets anymore."

She looked at him earnestly. "OK," she said.

"You first."

"OK," she said again. "A bit after you'd gone Oi was gonna go 'ave some food- Oi went out towards tha' 'ot dog plaice by the road- an'- It was that 'Gustus cat again, plus a few maites. They-" she frowned and raised her eyebrows, "Well, we soon got into a bit of a foight- tha' is to saiy Oi ran at 'em shoutin' 'get away you sons of Pollicles!'"

Mungo stared at her and she grinned. "Yeah. An' one of 'em got a lucky swoipe in there somewhere..." She gingerly touched her injured shoulder and Mungo did not miss her tensing in pain for a second. "Oi gave as good as Oi got though- betta actually, there were four o' them! But Oi figured Oi couldn't keep going so Oi ran off 'ere and 'id."

"Oi'm so sorry, Teaz..."

"You don' 'ave to keep saiyin' tha', y'know."

"But it's my fault."

"Nah..." She flicked a couple leaves away, "s'no one's fault exac'ly... But you gotta tell me wha' all tha' was all about, yeah?"

He nodded. "Yeah. OK... 'Ave you evva 'eard of Macavity?"

"'Cept that 'Gustus mentioned 'im, no."

How to explain... "'E's- not a noice cat. In fact 'e's a real nasty cat. But 'e let me staiy in 'is 'ouse after my parents died-"

"'Is 'ouse?" she interuptted.

"'Is very own. Oi think there used to be some 'umans there, but they left an' now it's koinda loike 'is base. A boss needs 'is 'eadquarters. 'E's loike the leader of loadsa straiys. An 'e said Oi could staiy there and staiy aloive on the condition Oi worked for 'im too- stealin' stuff and the loike."

"Wha' stuff?"

"Well, mostly there's all them jewels and sparkly things 'e wants."

"Whoi does 'e want shoiny things?"

Mungo frowned. "Dunno really. Saime reason 'umans want 'em, Oi guess."

"Wha'evva tha' is..." Teazer giggled. "Oi loike shoiny things too," she announced. "They're pretty."

That fantastic smile. She was grinning so happily at the simple thought of shiny pretty things. He wanted to hug her. "Pretty loike you," he muttered.

"Wha'?"

Mungo could feel heat rushing to his face. "Oi just said- loike you. Oi think yer pretty too."

She stared at him in surprise for a moment. "'Ey, thanks Mungo! Tha's real noice of ya." Grinning, if possible, more broadly still.

"Well, 'ow abou' tha' food naow?" Mungo asked, helping her gently to her feet. "You OK with tha' shoulder there?"

"Yeah, s'not too bad really."

"Yer brave," he said, almost challenging.

"Oi try t'be," she countered.

"You can tell me if it 'urts or anything, yeah? No secrets?"

"Sure. But Oi'm OK naow. Really."

* * * * *

"Slim pickin's laitely, Oi've noticed." Mungojerrie carefully cut a half eaten bread roll with a claw and gave half of it to Rumpelteazer.

"Thanks," she said as she stuffed it into her mouth. "Know-mph-whayameann-m-its-ump-been-"

"What?"

She swallowed and repeated with particular attention to annunciation. "Know whatt eyou meean."

Mungo laughed and took another mouthful. "'Ardly any 'umans out on picnics naow... an' closin' all them food stalls. Gettin' colda aswell," he mused.

"Winter," said Teazer, knowledgably.

They glanced at each other with raised eyebrows.

"Wha'evva tha' is."

* * * * *

"Teaza..." began Mungo hestitantly.

"Yeah?"

"Y'know Oi told ya 'bout Macavity?"

"Y'mean the nasty idiot 'oo's obsessed with shoiny things and loikes pickin' on li'l kits? Tha' Macavity?"

Mungo couldn't help smiling. "Tha' Macavity. 'E wants me to go an' nick some- shoiny things-"

"Predictable, ain't 'e?" Rumpelteazer interjected.

"Yeah... 'e wants me to nick some more for 'im. An' Oi thought Oi'd better go tonoight..."

She nodded aimiably. "OK. Can Oi come too?"

He was very much taken aback. "Wha'?"

She repeated the question clearly. "Can Oi come too?"

"But it's got nothin' to do with you- an' it'll be dangerous."

"Oi'd saiy it's got quoite a lot to do with me ac'shly. Can't 'ave you jus' disappearing every coupla weeks. An' if it's dangerous, Oi'd think you could use some 'elp."

"Well..."

"Besoides," she added, hopefully, "sounds loike fun."

They arrived outside the huge Victorian mansion just after midnight. Mungo looked around the empty street warily, from habit more than anything else- after all, what human in their right mind would seriously suspect a couple of cats of the hundred pound jewel robbery that was about to take place?

"This the plaice, Mungo?"

"Guess so. Oi mean, 'ow many other millionaire style 'ouses d'ya see around 'ere?"

He gave it a professional inspection- carefully avoiding going anywhere near the Pollicle's kennel. Annoyingly, but hardly surprising in November, no windows had been left open. There was a external stair to the cellar, though, and the door was only bolted from the outside. Once in, they headed up the stairs and then to the large dining room.

"'E said they should be in a cupboard in 'ere somewhere," Mungo whispered.

"'Ow does 'e know?"

"Dunno. Spies, Oi guess. Got 'em everywhere."

The cupboard in question was not exactly hard to locate. It had a glass front and the three heavily jeweled necklaces were ostentatiously displayed on stands, sparkling even in the dim moonlight shining through the window.

"Wow..." Rumpelteazer breathed as she leapt lightly from Mungojerrie's shoulders to open the door, "Would ya look at tha'!"

She looped them around her neck and jumped down to the floor again.

"Thanks, Teaz," said Mungo, "Yer right; s'lot easier with someone else 'elpin'."

"No problem," she said cheerily, "Jus' get these loaded up into them bags..."

She looked almost longingly at the necklaces as they fell into the burlap bags Mungo held open. And as soon as they were outside again, she said, "Les 'ave another look at 'em!"

Obligingly, Mungo held them up to the light of the street lamp, turning them about in his paws to get the full effect of the pretty sparkliness.

"They're lovely, ain't they?" murmured Rumpel, again wistfully with a dreamy smile. Then she sighed briefly and put them back into the sacks. "Not tha' they're any use t'anyone. Macavity mus' jus' keep 'em for the saike of it."

Mungo nodded. "Oi've 'eard 'e's got loads of 'em, all 'idden awaiy in boxes under tha' red armchair of 'is."

Rumpelteazer rolled her eyes. "'E sits on a red armchair? Oi swear, 'e thinks 'e's a flippin' king or summat! All them shiny things and naow a- a throne for pity's saike!"

'E certainly rules loike a king... King of the strays an' the streets- tha's quoite some kingdom. 'Ow can jus' one cat command our 'ole world?

"You OK, Mungo? Yer very quoiet."

"Yeah, foine. Jus' thinkin'. Y'know, we should taike this stuff to Macavity."

"Naow? Can't it wait til tomorra?"

Mungo picked up a sack in his teeth and slung it over his shoulder. "It could, bu' Oi'd loike to get ridda this booty as soon as poss. We don' wanna be found with it."

"Good point." She shouldered the other sack and they headed down the street.

Mungo was aware that he had started walking slower and slower as they got nearer Macavity's headquarters. He was just about to ask Teazer if she would like to leave now when Augustus walked casually out from behind a dustbin.

"'Ey there, Jerrie. Still got that girl 'anging about with you, I see."

"Oi've got the jewels 'ere, 'Gustus," Mungo said pointedly, dumping his sack on the ground with a few dull clinks.

Augustus made no move to pick it up. "Come on an' bring 'em in then. Boss's inside." And as Mungo made to relieve Teazer of her sack, he added "an' bring the kit."

"But-"

Another cat had just climbed up the basement stairs.

"Not fighting I hope, are we?" asked Macavity smoothly, "Nice to see you again, Mungojerrie and I see you've brought the goods with you."

"Yessir," Mungo sighed.

"Come on in then. Both of you."

Macavity lead them to his audience chamber with the red armchair. Rumpelteazer caught Mungo's eye and mouthed "throne room!" as she flashed him a nervous smile. Croipes he moaned to himself, what 'ave Oi got 'er in for?

"No need to look so worried," Macavity said smoothly. "Unless you've got something to hide?"

"'Ere. We got 'em necklaces you wanted," Mungo said as assertively as he could. He poured the strings of jewels onto the tiled floor.

Macavity inspected them carefully. "Good, good," he murmured, "No damage." Then he suddenly looked up and asked sharply, "We, Mungojerrie?"

"Yessir. Me an'- Me friend 'ere 'elped."

"What's her name?"

Mungo risked a quick apologetic glance back at Teazer who was staring fixedly at a bit of dirt on the wall. There was no point in lying. "Rumpelteaza," he said quietly.

"Rumpelteazer. Ah." Macavity seemed to consider the point carefully for a while. "She's not a member of the Paw is she?" It was hardly a question.

"Nossir."

"Right. And how long have you known her?"

"Coupla months. Sir."

"So, why hasn't she joined us, Mungojerrie?"

Mungo's ears twitched nervously. "Cos Oi didn' invoite 'er, an' Oi don' think she wants t'be."

"That's a little unorthodox. Hardly the usual procedure. You should really have come to me about her a long time ago since she's still with and helping you with jobs."

There was no way Mungo would dare to say that he had in fact mentioned Teazer to Macavity, albeit not by name. But somehow, he dared to burst out with: "She's not gonna get mixed up in this, Macavity! You can't make 'er!"

A ginger eyebrow twitched briefly, then Macavity said softly, "Augustus? Show Rumpelteazer out. I would like a private word with Mungojerrie."

Augustus grabbed Rumpelteazer around the waist rather harder than was necessary. She shot Mungo a wry smile. "See ya..."

Mungojerrie looked at Macavity, who seemed to be once again deeply interested in the jewels.

Oi'm for it now... Mungo thought. He tried to swallow, but almost choked.

Macavity placed the strand he was holding carefully back into the bag, jewel by jewel. "That was out of order. I have not been pleased with your recent behaviour, Mungojerrie. You've been withholding information and now you dare to argue with me."

It wasn't exactly something you could reply to, and Mungo wasn't sure he'd be able to speak anyway.

"I sincerely hope you are not considering any disobedience," Macavity continued, "I need hardly remind you how disobedience is punishable."

Mungo was still silent, but he scowled and stared up at the ginger cat above him as proudly as he could.

Macavity chuckled softly. "Very brave," he spat. "I've seen that look before. You're trying to convince me that nothing I could do to you would matter. But there's more than one way to skin a cat, as the saying goes..."

The fur on Mungo's back suddenly bristled as a feeling of terrifying apprehension trickled over him. Macavity was staring at him, smiling, and clearly enjoying every moment.

"That queen of yours Rumpelteazer..." He spoke musingly, turning a thoughtful gaze towards Mungo that chilled him with such a creeping, sickening cold that he couldn't even shudder. "She's a pretty little thing, isn't she?"

"No way, Macavity!" he yelled, shocked into speech, "You keep yer paws off 'er! If you dare touch 'er, Oi'll -"

"Oil, oil" Macavity mimicked, his smile growing, "You'll what, Mungojerrie?"

The young tom clamped his mouth shut, glaring at Macavity with hatred and

anger, finding nothing at all to say. Macavity laughed. It was painful, powerful laughter; hurting Mungo's ears and heart as he thought of Rumpelteazer's animated giggle.

When he stopped laughing, his voice was as cold as steel. "I don't want to warn you again, Mungojerrie. Don't cross me. You know what I could do."

Mungo could do nothing but continue to stare in helpless rage, breathing heavily. Finally he gritted his teeth and fled the room.

Macavity lay back in the armchair, examining his claws with an air of absolute satisfaction.

* * * * *

When Mungojerrie returned to his and Teazer's spot in the playground, he found her asleep, lying curled up as small as possible, but still very much exposed to the chill November night. She had never seemed to him so vulnerable or unprotected. He'd never really thought she was. But 'E better not try an' touch you, Teaza. Oi'll nevva let anyone 'urt you again. Nevva. He walked towards her, feeling so suddenly tired and hopeless. What could he, what could anyone, do against Macavity?

The soft moonlight had stripped her of her bright, cheeky prettiness; sleep had stolen her defiantly cheery grin. And behind it all, underneath it- underneath she was beautiful. No matter that her coat was dull and tangled, that patches of the sunny orange and gold had been stained almost indelibly. No matter that the smooth white of her face was marred by countless small scratches and more dirt, that her whole body was painfully thin. Despite any of it, she was to him the most beautiful creature imaginable.

The harsh world's wrath had done its worst to her and she had come through- laughing at it all. Always smiling, always joking, always laughing and making him laugh too. Was it an act? Who for? But even now, herself, unmasked, she was still perfect. Battered and scorned and alone, but still somehow unspoilt. Always laughing Never at anyone, never cruel or blaming. She never blamed anyone for her life, not even herself. Was it because- because she knew nothing better than what she herself had experienced? Had she no way to dream beyond her guttered and guttering life? Or was she dreaming and living her dream every day, feeling somehow that she was getting closer to something, that laughter would keep her dreaming safely?

Rumpelteazer. He slumped onto the ragged pillow beside her. Rumpelteaza 'Eaviside, Oi dunno wha' Oi can do for ya. You deserve a jeweled collar, an' rich cream, an' a silky cushion an', an' all the pretty sparkly things you loike to laugh at an' dream about- An' all you've got- all Oi can give you is a crown o' autumn leaves an' rainwata an' a li'l laughta in return for yours. He squeezed his eyes shut for a moment. Nothin's right 'ere, is it?

Cautiously, as if afraid to touch her or to approach her unveiled beauty, but desperately drawn to her, he wrapped his paws about Rumpelteazer's small shoulders, needing to hold her, to protect her from- what? and just needing the comfort and warmth. Suddenly she stirred and her emerald eyes flickered open. Mungo immediately drew back.

'S'OK, Mungo," Rumpelteazer said quietly, "You can 'old me if ya want to."

He looked at her hard, trying to gage her feelings. "You sure?"

"Yeah. Yeah, felt noice."

She shut her eyes again and rubbed against him gently as he held her close once more, purring.

"Night, Mungo."

Mungojerrie smoothed the fur on Teazer's head, and inwardly laughed at everything. The sliver of a moon was pale and powerless and the stars could glare all they liked. The cold of the night could do nothing against the warmth they shared. For one moment at least, nothing could be better. Nothing could spoil it. Macavity, winter, humans; just now there was simply no place for them. For now, the whole world could be pushed away with two simple words: no matter.

"G'night, Teaza."

* * * * *

 

there be more! onto PART 2...