Silver, Gold and Ruby
by Megera
Disclaimer: If I said I owned Cats, I would be a terrible, terrible liar. Cats belongs to RUG, ALW, TSE, etc. . .

~

PART 1 - Girls Just Wanna Have Fun

It was dark in the door-less refrigerator that two cats called home. The lack of light didn't matter, however, and Admetus could clearly see the figure heading towards him, or rather, beyond him to the exit.

"Demi," he said softly.

"What?"

"Where are you going?"

"That's none of your business." she raised her chin and gave him a defiant look.

"You shouldn't go out like this."

"Like what?"

"Alone, late, to who knows where."

"Like I said, it's none of your business. You're not my mother."

"I never said that, but I don't think it's smart."

"Would you quit worrying?"

Admetus shook his head. Demeter came over to him and gave him a quick kiss.

"I'll be fine. I'm a big girl. I can take care of myself." With a wink and a smile she left.

She certainly was a big girl. Barely. Admetus sighed and laid back down, trying to fall back asleep. While Admetus and Demeter where not related, difficult circumstances had led them to be raised together by two cats who were not their parents, while Bombalurina, Demeter's sister, had been raised by the queens' mother.

Demeter was coming into her own, no longer a kitten, just touching adulthood, like himself and many of the other cats in the junkyard. She was beautiful, smart and proud. All traits was one she shared with her fiery red sister. Especially the sometimes haughty attitude. It frustrated Admetus, who was of the much calmer variety, that his foster sister could be so pig headed. She had been slipping out at night quite a bit as of late, Admetus could only assume where and his assumptions were not good.

Demeter wanted to be more worldly, he supposed. She wanted to see life beyond the junkyard, which was all well and good, but he wasn't sure if she would exercise enough caution.

"This is stupid," he said to the night. "I'm not losing any more sleep over her." he rolled over and closed his eyes, willing slumber to come.

* * *

By the next afternoon, Demeter had still not returned. Admetus was annoyed, but tried not to think about it. She had been gone longer. He sought out Munkustrap, a tom his age, hoping for a distraction.

The two toms found each other, Munkustrap with a hopeful look in his eyes.

"Is Demi around?"

"What, that's it? No, 'Hello, Admetus, how good to see you'? Just 'Is Demi around?'"

Munkustrap smiled. "Sorry. Hello, Admetus, how good to see you. Better?"

"Yes, thank you."

"Now, is Demi around?"

"No, sorry, Munkus. She left again last night."

"Oh." the tabby said softly. "Well, that's all right."

"Quit with the sad eyes, she'll be back. Let's go do something interesting."

"Like what?"

"I dunno. What do you wanna do?"

"I dunno. What do you wanna do?"

Admetus shrugged. "I dunno. What do you wanna do?"

"I dunno. What do you wanna do?"

"This will get us no where." Admetus said, huffing slightly.

"It was much easier to have fun when we were kittens." Munkustrap said, poking at the dirt.

"You act like we've been adults forever. Just a couple weeks ago you were rolling in the grass and attacking Tugger's tail whenever you got the chance."

Munkustrap laughed at the memory. "Yeah, nothing gets him mad like giving his tail a good swat."

"I think he's on the other side of the oven with Bomba. If you care to, you know, revisit your childhood days."

A wicked grin spread across the tabby's face. "Let's get him."

 

 

The two cats crept slowly across the oven, keeping low and peering at the lion cat that was reclining against it.

"Oh, that must have been so scary!" Bombalurina was saying, her eyes wide.

"Yeah, it was pretty huge." The Rum Tugger said calmly. "It had about a million teeth or so."

"What did you do?" the young queen asked, leaning closer.

"Well, I walked right up to him, looked him in his big, ugly, pollicle face and said- EIEEEIEEEE!" Tugger jumped up, grabbing his tail.

Munkustrap and Admetus were on top of each other laughing.

"What was that again, Tugger?" Admetus panted. "'Eieeeieee'?"

Munkustrap laughed harder. "You squeal like a queen!"

Tugger scowled at the other toms. "Clever guys, bite my tail. Real mature."

"Yeah, that little story of yours was real mature." Munkustrap said, catching his breath. Turning to Bomba, he said, "Don't believe him for a minute. I saw the thing. It was a puppy. A poodle puppy. It wanted to give him a lick, that's all. Tugger ran like his tail was on fire." He began to laugh again as did Admetus, clutching his stomach. A grin spread across Bomba's face.

"Shut up!" Tugger hissed.

"Or what? You gonna squeal at me?" Munkustrap demanded. Admetus was rolling on the ground now.

"Tugger, ignore them." Bombalurina said, trying very hard not to laugh. "I bet you were very brave."

"Yeah," Tugger said, puffing out his chest. "I was."

"I'm sure it was a very scary puppy." She burst out laughing. "Was it really a poodle?"

"Yeah, a little white one with a bow!" Munkustrap yelled.

"You guys are jerks, you know that?" Tugger growled.

"Sorry, Tug, we couldn't resist." Munkustrap said, bringing his laughter under control.

"Yeah, we were bored. No hard feelings?" Admetus held out his paw.

"Yeah, okay." Tugger touched his paw, only slightly grudgingly.

"Where's Dem?" Bomba asked, stretching out and begining to groom herself.

"She left last night." Munkustrap answered for Admetus, sitting down.

"Where'd she go?"

"You think she tells me?" Admetus said.

"Maybe you should talk to her, Bomb, find out what's going on." Munkustrap suggested.

"No." Admetus said flatly. "Sorry, Bomba, but you're not always the best influence."

"He's right," the red queen said with a sexy pout. "And I'm no one's spy."

"Leave Demi alone," Tugger said, putting an arm around Bomba. "She's just having a little fun."

"She just needs to be careful." Munkustrap said, staring off in the distance, as if he expected Demeter to come around the corner.

"You're worried she's gonna hook up with some other tom." Bomba said.

"What?"

"Come on, Munkus, it's obvious you've got a 'thing' for my sister." she giggled.

"No, I just don't want her to get into any trouble."

"She won't." Bomba said, matter-of-factly. "Enough about Demi. We should be talking about something more interesting. Like me!" she smiled brightly.

"Admetus! Admetus!" a shrill voice was heard from somewhere else in the junkyard.

"Sounds like Jenny wants you, Addy." Tugger said with a smirk.

"Yeah, yeah, I hear her. Coming, Jenny!" he yelled, standing up. "Later all."

"I'm gonna go too. Gus had something he wanted to talk to me about." Munkustrap said, standing.

"Bye, boys." Bomba said, snuggling a little closer to Tugger.

* * *

Admetus could not find Jenny. He wandered the junkyard, calling her name. "Jenny? Jenny, it's really weird of you to be hiding."

"I'm not hiding. I'm over here."

Admetus followed the gumbie cat's voice to a small nook of the junkyard.

"Jenny! Where are you?"

"Here!" he jumped three feet in the air as he was struck by something sort of soft. It exploded, soaking him with icy water.

He stood, to startled to move, dripping wet. He heard laughing above him and looked up to see two calico kittens laughing like he had been laughing at Tugger.

"Mungojerrie! Rumpelteazer! Get down here!"

Mungojerrie and Rumpelteazer, a pair of street kits that had only recently been adopted into the tribe, made their way down to the moist adult, chuckling all the way.

"You two are impossible. How on earth did you talk Jenny into helping you with this little stunt?"

"Jenny? That was Teaza!" Jerrie said brightly.

"Teazer?"

"Yep." the little queen grinned. "Where are my knitting needles? Drat those mice! Kittens! Must you be so destructive?" her impression was dead-on without a hint of her cockney accent.

"Not bad. I'll give you that. What was it you hit me with?"

"Somethin' the humans call a 'water balloon'." Jerrie said, rolling a round, bouncy ball-like thing from behind a box.

Admetus poked at it with a claw. It burst, getting him even wetter. The kittens laughed again.

"Ya can't jus' poke it like that." Teazer said.

"How did you two manage to carry two-"

"Five."

"What?"

"Five. We got five. Well, three now."

"How did you carry them?"

"Very carefully." Jerrie said solemnly.

"Very clever of you."

"Ya not gonna tell Jenny or Munkus. . . are ya?" Teazer asked.

"No. So long as you don't use me for target practice. And I don't think Munkus would mind much, anyway. Actually, he might want to use one on Tugger."

The two kitten's eyes got wide. "Use 'em on Tugger."

"Whot a great idea!"

"Ya're a genius!"

"Let's go, Teaza!" The two fuzz balls ran off, presumably towards their hidden stash of water balloons.

Admetus shook his head, sending water drops flying everywhere. "Time to find a sunny spot," he muttered, looking towards the old car. Giving his paws a little shake with every step, he headed towards the old Ford, eager for the warmth of the hot metal.

He tensed his muscles, preparing to jump when he heard a familiar laugh. "Demi." he whispered, turning to see the golden queen and her sister walking towards him. He quickly dived into an old suitcase, straining to hear the conversation.

"Did you do anything fun?"

"Nothing overly exciting." there was a pause. "I did meet someone."

A giggle. "Who?"

"Mac."

"As in Macavity?"

"Yeah."

"He's gorgeous, isn't he? With all that red fur and those wild eyes!" a dramatic sigh. "He gives Tugger a run for his money."

"So, are you two. . .?"

"Nah, we just talked a little."

There was the sound of someone else approaching and the two queens quieted.

"Demi! You're back!"

"Hey, Munkustrap."

"Uh, Old Deuteronomy was going to stop by, I was just coming to tell Bomba."

"Um, thanks, Munkus."

Admetus heard the tabby leave. The queens giggled.

"He likes you."

"Shut up. He doesn't."

"Yeah, he does."

"Well, whatever. I'm not into him. He's too. . . protective and. . . he acts like he's Old D or something. He's just a couple of days older than I am, but he's always being so mature."

"And there's Mac."

A giggle. "I don't think he's interested in me."

"Time will tell. Let's go wait for Old Deuteronomy.

"Kay."

Admetus waited until he was sure the queens were gone, then popped out of the suitcase. "Macavity? Who's he?" Shrugging, he followed the queens' example and went to greet his leader. Maybe Munkustrap knew.

* * *

Old Deuteronomy was talking to Munkustrap on the tire. Although Rum Tum Tugger was the old one's son, everyone was betting that Munkustrap would be officiating the next Jellicle Ball, which was fine with Tugger, who wanted none of the responsibility of a leader-in-training.

Deuteronomy smiled and gestured for Admetus to join him and the tabby on the tire. Admetus went, purring like a kitten when the leader gave his head a rub.

"Hello, Admetus. Good to see you."

"Hello." he smiled shyly.

"Demi's back," Munkustrap told his friend, shifting his weight slightly.

"Yeah, I saw."

"Do you know where she was?"

"I dunno. Off with some friends, I guess. Do you know a Macavity?"

The cat thought for a moment. "No, name doesn't ring a bell."

"I've heard of him." Old Deuteronomy said slowly.

"You have?"

"Yes, very little of it good."

"Is he dangerous?"

"I don't think he's a big threat. He's just a troublemaker I hear."

The conversation was interrupted by Mungojerrie and Rumpelteazer, who came flying into the junkyard, smiling and out of breath. Their eyes lit up when they saw the Jellicle leader and they leapt up on the tire, with Mungojerrie all but jumping on Admetus's head.

"Hello, little ones." Deuteronomy said, smiling, taking them in his lap.

"'ello!" they chirped together, in innocent voices.

"JERRIE! TEAZER!" a loud voice boomed. The kittens ducked under the leader's arms.

A very wet, very unhappy looking Rum Tum Tugger came into view, his body tense, like a tiger on the prowl. "Where are you? When I get my hands on you two I'm gonna pull your little-" he caught site of his father and the tiny calico balls on his lap.

"What were you saying?" Deuteronomy asked.

Tugger shook his head. "That's really unfair." He sighed and cast an angry look at the kittens. "Hey, dad."

"Hello, son."

"KITTENS! Must you be so destructive?" Another interruption. This time, it was Jennyanydots who entered, soaking wet. The two troublemakers buried their heads in Deuteronomy's fur, shaking with laughter. The gumbie cat was fuming. Admetus smiled in spite of himself. Rumpelteazer's impression has been very accurate.

Jenny saw the kittens on the lap of the leader, but unlike Tugger, she was not to be swayed by his presence.

"None of that now! You can't hide from me!"

"What happened, Jenny?" Deuteronomy asked gently.

"Those two ruffians put a- this round- some kind of water ball thing into my sewing basket! I wasn't even paying attention and I gave it a jab with my needles. It exploded! I'm wet and so is all my yarn!"

"Jerrie, Teazer, how are you managing to soak everyone?" Munkustrap asked, fighting a smile.

"Water balloons." Admetus said, answering for the striped pair.

Munkustrap raised an eyebrow. "Water balloons? Those human contraptions?"

"Yeah."

He shook his head. "You two are going to put me in an early grave."

"I think some kind of reprimanding is in order!' Jenny said, feeling forgotten.

"Ah, Jenny, we're sorry." Jerrie said, eager to escape one of Munkustrap's long, boring lectures.

"Ya, we was just havin' a little fun." Teazer added.

"Fun?" Jenny's eyes narrowed.

"But it was dumb." Teazer said quickly.

"An' immature." Jerrie said.

"An' we'll never do it again."

"We're real sorry."

Jenny sighed. "All right, apology accepted."

"Why don't you two go play with Misto for a while?" Munkustrap suggested.

With another happy purr to Deuteronomy, the two ran to find the little black and white tom, unaware that he was trying desperately to avoid them. Despite their good intentions, Mungojerrie and Rumpelteazer were difficult playmates.

Demeter and Bombalurina came and after paying their respects to Deuteronomy, moved on to continue gossiping, then stopped as Alonzo appeared from the drainpipe. Demeter smiled and ran a paw along Alonzo's chest, purring suggestively. Out of the corner of his eye, Admetus saw Munkustrap tense up.

"Those two are quite the pair." Deuteronomy said, clucking his tongue.

"Miserable flirts, the both of them." Admetus grumbled.

"Jealous?" Deuteronomy asked.

"Jealous? No! Demeter's practically my sister and Bomba. . . Bomba's too much for me."

"You can certainly tell they're related." Munkustrap commented as the two queens worked their magic on the black and white tom."

"Double Trouble" Jenny piped up, using a kittenhood nickname. The older queen sighed. "They're young and proud, a recipe for trouble."

"Oh, come now, Jenny," Deuteronomy said with a sly smile. "I remember a certain queen who kept all the toms guessing."

The gumbie cat stiffened ever so slightly. "I did not."

Munkustrap grinned. "Jenny, were you a temptress?"

"That's putting it lightly." Deuteronomy said, chuckling.

"Nonsense." Jenny said, standing. "Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to try to dry my yarn."

"I'm gonna go talk to Demeter. I wanna know what she's been up too." Admetus said.

"She's gone already." a voice said from behind. Admetus turned and scowled.

"Where the hell is she? Can't she stay in the 'yard for five minutes?"

"Let her be. She's just having fun." Bombalurina repeated Tugger's earlier statement. "Besides, who needs Dem when I'm around?"

* * *

Demeter returned to the junkyard in short spurts, each time leaving sooner, each time talking less and less. When she was around, she was distant and jumpy, not quite her usual self. When Admetus had kept her in the 'yard long enough to express his concerns, she had laughed and tossed her head, assuring him that she was fine before disappearing again.

Munkustrap was becoming increasingly agitated, which made Admetus even more nervous. The Ball came, and the gray tabby officiated as everyone had expected, but there was tension surrounding the festivities. Everyone was aware of the golden queen's absence, but dodged around the subject. It was easier that way.

 

~

PART TWO The Kitten Year

The next time Admetus found himself sitting with Munkustrap and Deuteronomy on the old tire, they were celebrating, for Jennyanydots and Jellylorum were both pregnant. They soon received more happy news, Warina, Gus's mate, was also pregnant, despite the couple's age.

"It's going to be a kitten year." Deuteronomy had sighed. After questioning looks from Munkustrap and Admetus, he explained. "It seems like every four years or so kittens just come from everywhere." The younger toms had looked at each other and shrugged. They would learn soon enough that Deuteronomy was absolutely right.

* * *

Jelly was the first to give birth and after her humans distributed three of the kittens to other families, she happily presented her and Asparagus's remaining kit, a son, Plato. Next, Jenny had two, Tumblebrutus, a robust little fellow, and Jemima, a tiny, delicate little queen. Soon after, late at night when the sky was threatening to storm, Jelly and Jenny were fetched by an actor friend of Gus's to assist Warina in her birth. A few hours later the queens returned, stony faced, with a bundle in Jenny's arms.

"What happened?" Munkustrap asked, rushing to the queens.

"I'm afraid Warina didn't make it," Jelly said softly. "She was just to old for the strain. The first two kits didn't make it either." A soft murmur ran through the crowd that had assembled to meet the queens.

"How's Gus?" Munkustrap asked, lowering his head.

"Not very good. He's been. . . slipping for some time now, we've all noticed."

"I think losing Warina pushed him over the edge. There's no way he can care for the kit. He doesn't even realize there is a kit." Jenny said, patting the bundle.

"What are we going to do?"
"Well, someone has to care for the little dear. The whole tribe will help of course, but there needs to be a home."

"Jenny, can you. . .?" Munkustrap began.

The queen shook her head. "Skimble and I were cramped to begin with. Now with Jemima and Tumble, we just don't have room."

"It's the same for Asparagus and I." Jelly said.

"I'll take it in."

Tugger turned to the speaker. "Admetus, you don't know how to take care of a kit."

"I can help."

"You don't either, Munkus!"

"We can learn," Admetus said, sniffing at the bundle. "Besides, now that Demi's living elsewhere, I got plenty of room."

The older queens exchanged glances. "We were thinking that one of the queens, Tantomile, Exotica, Cassandra. . ." Jelly let her voice trail off.

"I can do it. Or try anyway. It's not like I'll be completely alone or anything, like you said, Jenny, the tribe will help. The kit needs a place to sleep and I've got room.

"All right," Jenny said slowly, handing the bundle over. "If you're sure. She'll live with you and Jelly and I and everyone else will help all we can."

"She?"

"Yes. It's a little queen."

Admetus slowly unwrapped the bundle and got his first look at the kitten. She has a dark coat with red and white and brown streaks. She had a sprinkling of freckles and eyes tightly shut, still blind from her birth.

"She needs a name," he mumbled quietly. He looked up at the silver tabby. "Munkus?"

"What, me? Name her?" he looked around, bewildered.
"Yeah, you're the best one for the job, being Deuteronomy's right-hand and all." Admetus held the bundle out.

Munkustrap took the kitten in his arms and swallowed hard. "Uh. . . let's see." he searched his mind for something suitable, something that carried the legacy of the kit's theatrical parents. Suddenly, his mind flashed back to when he himself was just a small kit and really into the Greek myths that Gus was eager to tell. One story, one character, stuck out. "How about. . . Electra?"

A flash of blue lightning streaked across the sky, as if confirming Munkustrap's choice.

Jelly nodded and took the kit in her arms, whispering her name. "Electra."

She handed the bundle to Jenny who did the same. "Electra." She in turn handed the tiny queen to Bomba, who handed her to Skimble and so on, until every Jellicle present had held the kit and whispered her name.

When Electra was back in the arms of Admetus, he lightly stroked her head. She shifted slightly, then snuggled into his arms, nuzzling her face into his fur.

"Uh. . . Jenny?"

"Yes?"

"How do I feed her?"

Jelly smiled. "I'll take care of that, with only Plato, I've got enough milk for her too."

"Okay." he straightened up and looked towards the refrigerator. "Okay." he said again. "I guess I'll put her to bed then." He hesitated for a moment, then repeated "Okay." for good measure before turning towards the old refrigerator.

He carried the kit to what had been Demeter's bed. He disentangled the kitten from her bundle and set her down. He heard a rustle and turned to see Munkustrap carrying a large stack of blankets in his arms.

"Uh. . . Jenny wanted to make sure you had enough blankets." he said, almost apologetically.

"Enough for what, the entire tribe?"

"Well, she knits so many. . . just take 'em, make her happy."

"Sure, sure. Give 'em here." he extended his arms and took the pile from his friend. He set them on the floor and plucked the first blanket from the stack. He unfolded it and spread it out on top of the kitten queen. He added another and another, then looked to Munkustrap.

"How many blankets does a kitten need?"

"I don't know. How many did you have when you were that small?"

"I don't remember."

"Me either."

"Should I use them all? I don't want her to get cold. . ."

"But you don't want to smother her, either."

They stood, staring at Electra in uncomfortable silence, considering all of the other decisions that would have to be made in the future. Decisions that would be more serious than blankets.

"This is gonna be more complicated than I thought."

* * *

Electra was the tribe's kitten, a member of a huge family with several mothers, fathers and siblings. At first there had been visits to Gus, but it became clear that it was more painful for both cat and kit than it was helpful, so the visits had stopped. She never really seemed to prefer one cat over the next, but there was no denying that there was something a tiny bit extra in her relationship with Admetus. Not quite like a father to a daughter, really, Admetus was too young for that. There was just something a little deeper between the two then Electra had with any other cat.

The Rum Tum Tugger found it terribly funny to see Admetus and Munkustrap playing the parents to the little kitten. It only got worse when Electra was learning to talk. She couldn't quite manage "Admetus" but something that sounded like "Dadmetus". Tugger promptly began calling the two Daddymetus and Motherstrap, which, to their credit, the toms took in stride. Both of the cats found her a distraction, something to take their minds off of Demeter, who hadn't returned to the junkyard in a long time. Electra became almost a replacement for the affections and attention that had been Demeter's. Neither tom ever vocalized these feelings, by unspoken agreement.

The "kitten year", as Deuteronomy had called it, didn't quite finish with the arrival of Electra. A little white kitten, only a little younger than Misto and bearing the name Victoria found her way into the junkyard. Then, much to the delight of Admetus and Munkustrap, Tugger discovered some kittens of his own.

The lion cat had left for a quick jaunt and returned with an exasperated look and two fluffy balls clinging to his legs. A pair of siblings calling themselves Etcetera and Pouncival made their junkyard debut hanging off the handsome Tugger.

They were apparently strays and incredibly good natured about the fact that they had absolutely no recollection of parents of any kind of home. They were in good health, though dirty and a little on the thin side and not at all shy.

When the trio first entered the junkyard, Admetus and Munkustrap came to meet them, struggling to hide grins. It was Munkustrap who first asked for an explanation.

"Munkus, I don't know. There was some other cat, a stray-"

"He was huge!" Etcetera said.

"And he was trying to take some little scrap of fish-"

"It wasn't a little scrap! It took me all day to swipe that thing!" Pouncival interjected.

"Whatever. The stray was trying to take the fish, so I told him to leave the kits alone and gave him a swat on the nose. Next thing I know, I got living, breathing ankle weights." Tugger finished.

"He saved our lives," Etcetera said, looking up at the tom with dreamy eyes. "he's a hero!"

Munkustrap snorted. "Hero. Right."

"We would have died! He's the bravest cat that ever walked the earth."

"Oh, Heaviside." Admetus grumbled.

"And the handsomest!"

"Tugger, I think you have a fan."

"Tugger? Is that your name?" Pouncival asked.

"Yep." Munkustrap said, smiling. "This is the Rum Tum Tugger."

"The Rum Tum Tugger!" the tiny queen repeated, then sighed a long, happy sigh.

"Hey, kids," Admetus began, winking at Munkustrap and leaning down to the kittens. "how would you like to stay with Tugger until we get you some humans?"

"What!? Stay with-?"

"EEEIEEEE!" Etcetera squealed.

"Yeah! Me and Etcy can stay with you!"

"Whoa, time out! I don't bunk with kittens!"

Munkustrap patted each kit on the head. "Oh, Tugger, how can you be so heartless? You can't turn away two little kittens with nothing in the world. Besides, I know you have the room."

"Munk, you can't be serious."

"I'm always serious. You can give them a place to sleep until we find humans that can take them in."

"Please?" the kittens said together with wide eyes and trembling lower lips.

"Everlasting Cat. I'm going to regret this." Tugger sighed.

"Is that a yes?" Munkustrap asked.

"Yes. But just until they get humans!"

"Yay! We're gonna live with Tugger! We're gonna live with Tugger!"

And they did live with Tugger in his old Ford. Tugger, despite his constant complaints, was a fair caretaker. He kept the kittens clean and fed and warm after seeking blanket advice from Munkustrap and Admetus. The siblings worshipped the older tom, Etcetera especially. She became the ring leader of the queen kittens in their scream sessions around him.

In a month, a home had been found for the kits and though he denied it up and down, everyone suspected that the lion cat missed his little charges.

Both kits were quickly assimilated into the games of the other kittens and Electra especially became close to Etcetera, the most vocal Tugger fan.

They seemed an odd pair. Electra was quite and controlled, where Etcetera was never, ever quiet. "And so on". A good definition of the kit who never quit. The friendship worked, despite their very different demeanor. Etcetera could do enough talking for the both of them. Pouncival and Etcetera were the last of the kittens to arrive and they seemed to complete the kitten group, which was almost a tribe within a tribe.

Mungojerrie and Rumpelteazer were the oldest of the group but were not always present. They were good for pulling pranks and causing mischief in general, but were not really a part of the hierarchy.

Tumblebrutus was the unofficial leader. He was of the rough sort and liked being in charge. However, he lacked the delicate political savvy that was needed to have complete control. Pouncival, his best friend, helped him there and between the two of them, they managed to head up most of the kitten games.

Plato was a bit distant, kind of an outsider in the group. If he was around, that was fine. If he wasn't, that was fine too.

Mistoffelees, though shy and quiet around the adults, was just as mischievous as the other kits and quick to join in on the games. He was bashful, tripping over his own words, mostly around the kitten queens, Electra espeically.

Victoria and Jemima were followers. They were sweet and quiet, but each shining in their own way. Victoria, even at her young age, was quite easily the best dancer of the tribe and Jemima's lovely voice was the envy of nearly all the queens. They were the object of many a kitten crush. And in this way the Kitten Year came and went, increasing the tribe's numbers and keeping the adults on their toes.

 

~

PART THREE Electrifying

A shrill scream broke through the silence of stillness of the junkyard. The cats stood up like they had been bitten.

"What the hell was that?"

"It sounded like Jemi."

Tugger, Alonzo and Admetus ran through the 'yard, dodging newspapers and broken toys until they found the source of the scream.

Plato, Etcetera, Tumble, Pounce, Jemima, Victoria and Misto were standing in a semi-circle around Electra, who was laying in a heap on the ground. Misto's eyes were huge.

"Electra!" Admetus ran to the kit, picking up her limp form.

"What happened?" Tugger asked, looking from kit to kit.

"I-" Misto attempted to speak. Jemima ran to Alonzo and began crying.

"I heard a scream. Is anyone hurt?" Munkustrap appeared and saw the kitten in Admetus's arms. "El!" he touched her face lightly.

Skimbleshanks was the next to arrive, having also heard the scream. His face contorted to fear then anger when he saw Jemima crying.

"What's goin' on?" he asked, reaching for his daughter.

"Kits," Munkustrap said, trying to draw the attention of the stunned children. "Kits!" he yelled sharply, snapping them out of their trance. "What happened?"

They were silent, looking at each other then at Mistoffelees.

"It's my fault," Misto said, finally.

"What do you mean?" Alonzo demanded.

"I. . . I don't know what I did, but then El-" he broke off, tears welling in his eyes. "She just-" he began shaking.

"Mistoffelees," Munkustrap said gently, approaching the kit. "it's all right. Just tell me what happened."

"I don't know!"

Munkustrap closed his eyes for a moment, then looked at the others. "Can anyone else tell me what happened?"

"We were playing. . ." Victoria began softly.

"Tag. We were playing tag." Plato mumbled.

"And this blue stuff-" Tumble said.

"It looked like lightning." Etcetera added.

"Just sort of came from Misto's paws-"

"And hit El! She just fell over!" Jemima finished, still crying in Skimble's arms.

"I didn't mean it!" Misto wailed, really crying now. "I don't know how it happened! I wouldn't ever hurt El!"

Munkustrap pulled the little tom to his chest, gently stroking his head and rocking slightly.

"Munkustrap, I'm so sorry! Is she gonna be all right? Please, say she is!"

"Shh. . . calm down. We'll take her to Jenny, okay?"

Misto nodded, taking in a shuddering breath.

"Addy, could you. . .?" Munkustrap asked.

"Of course," Admetus said, cradling the kitten. He turned and went to find the gumbie cat.

"Misto, I don't want you to blame yourself. I know you wouldn't hurt anyone on purpose. I'm not sure how you did that lightning thing, but we'll find out, okay?"

"How?"

"We can help." two voices said in unison. Coricopat and Tantomile, who had come into the small clearing without anyone noticing, stood looking at the black and white tom. "We've had our suspicions."

Everyone waited for the twins to explain just what they meant by "having suspicions" but they didn't elaborate.

"Uh. . . so you can explain this?" Munkustrap asked.

The mystics exchanged glances. "We can not explain why he is the way he is any more than we can explain why we are the way we are. We can only help him to learn control."

"Control that lightning stuff?" Tugger asked, looking up from Etcetera, who rested her head miserably on his arm.

"Yes. And anything else."

"What else?"

The two smiled blandly. "Don't be concerned, Munkustrap," Tantomile said, speaking alone.

"He will be fine, as will Electra." her bother added. "He should come with us now."

"Mistoffelees, I want you to go with Coricopat and Tantomile." Munkustrap told the kitten.

Misto chewed on his lower lip, watching the identical cats. He, like most of the kits, had had little contact with the mystics. They were just a tiny bit scary.

"Don't be concerned. We won't bite." Tantomile said with a slight twinkle in her eye. She extended her paw towards Misto, who, after a moment and a glance at Munkustrap took it. As the twins led him off to some secluded part of the junkyard, he turned back to the group.

"Come get me if El wakes up!"

* * *

Electra did wake up, she had only been knocked unconscious. Mistoffelees had come to her, still crying, carrying a slightly wilted bouquet of flowers as a peace offering. He didn't need one, however, as Electra was fine and found the situation funny.

Mistoffelees had been spending time with Coricopat and Tantomile and the three of them were the subject of a lot of the junkyard gossip. Finally, Admetus worked up the courage to speak with Tantomile about it and managed to stammer only once. After getting a summary of Misto's situation from the pretty mystic, he relayed the news to Munkustrap.

Admetus approached Munkustrap quietly, not wanting to startle him. The silver tom sat on the tire, staring out beyond the heaps of rubbish, his eyes wide and unfocused.

"Munkus," he said softly, touching him on the shoulder.

"Hm? Oh, Addy. What's up?"

"I've been talking to Tantomile."

"You stud you."

"Shut up. It was about Misto."

"And?"

"And he's a Conjuring Cat, whatever the heck that is."

"A Conjuring Cat?"

"Yeah, basically, I guess, he's got magical powers. The twins say the he won't be a danger to anyone as soon as he learns to control them."

"And how long will that take?"

"Tantomile says learning control won't be difficult. Getting his powers to work the way he wants might take a little longer."

"Well, that's good I guess."

There was a silence.

"Munkus, you're thinking about her again, aren't you." It wasn't a question.

"I can't help it. I miss her."

"Why? She barely gave you the time of day."

"I know. I just. . . I don't know. I can't help it. And who are you to talk? I know you miss her, too."

"Of course I miss Demi!" Admetus threw his paws into the air. "Everyone misses Demi. But you don't see me staring off into space, brooding over her. She was always spoiled, always selfish. She's only doing what makes her happy, the rest of us be damned."

"I worry about her. If she's okay."

"Of course she's okay. She's got what she wants."

"How can she be so sure that's what she wants? I mean, to leave the 'yard, her friends, her family."

"None of that was as important to her as we thought."

"I can't believe that."

Admetus was losing his patience. "Wake up, Munkustrap! She wanted excitement, not family, she wanted adventure, not friends, and she wanted Macavity, not-" he stopped.

"Not me." Munkustrap finished.

"Ah, Munkus, I'm sorry. That was-"

"No, don't apologize. You're right. I'm . . . not her type."

Another silence.

"You know Bomba's gone to see her?"

Admetus started. "What? That's where she went off to?"

"Yeah. She didn't tell anyone except for Tugger."

"How'd ya get him to tell you?"

Munkustrap paused, then grinned slightly. "I have my ways."

Admetus snorted. "Well, good for Bomba. Let's talk about something else."

Munkustrap nodded and changed the subject.

 

~

PART FOUR Night Games

Bombalurina was gone for a week, much longer than Tugger had expected. When she did return, it was the kittens who saw her first and alerted Tugger.

He was lounging on the back of the Ford, soaking up the sun and sending coy glances Exotica's way when Etcetera, Victoria, Jemima and Electra appeared below him.

"What's up, girls?" he drawled, tossing his head.

"We just saw Bombalurina." Victoria said, glancing behind her. "She's just outside the junkyard."

"She looks. . . funny." Etcetera said.

"Funny? Like 'ha ha' funny or strange funny?"

"Like strange funny."

Tugger sat up, furrowing his brow. "Do me a favor, girls, stay here, okay?"

They bobbed their heads yes and Tugger jumped from the car and ran to the outskirts of the junkyard. The red queen did indeed look strange. Her eyes were frantic and darting and she kept rubbing her arms. She looked at him and said, with a slight tremor in her voice, "I don't think Demi's okay."

He looked to her and then back towards the 'yard.

"Munkustrap!"

* * *

"One minute I was outside talking to some guard, the next I was in this empty room with Macavity."

Bombalurina was in Munkustrap's den, which was quite crowded. Jenny and Jelly had gathered up the kittens to keep them out of the way and recruited the queens to help keep track of them, while the toms had squeezed their way into Munkustrap's home to hear the queen's story.

"I would ask him about Demi, but he just ignored the questions. He's so. . ." she closed her eyes, running her paws across her belly and down her legs, then shook herself, as if she could rid her mind of the memories of his touch. "I can't even describe it. He takes you over, he. . ." she sighed. "I don't know how to explain."

"How did you get away?" Alonzo asked.

"That's the weird thing, one day he just opened the door and said, 'Go home.' and I left."

"So you never saw Demi?"

"No. But she's there, or a least was."

"How do you know?"

"Because he . . ." she stopped again, pausing to collect herself and looking at the ground. "He said I was as good as Demi."

A low growl rose in Tugger's throat and he unsheathed his claws, pawing at the floor.

"I'd say she's there, I don't think of her own will." she paused, thinking. "But I don't think she'd leave."

"What?"

"He's just that way, he has that effect, you love him when he hurts you." she shook herself again. "Demeter's not like me, she's. . . not as strong as me."

"If he's hurting her and she had the choice-"

"Munkustrap, you don't understand."

"What?"

"If he had that affect on me, imagine what it would do to Demeter. Part of her would want to stay."

"I can't believe that."

The red queen met his eyes. "Believe it. When he told me to leave, I almost didn't."

The silver tabby stiffened. "I'll get her then."

"How?" the queen asked skeptically.

"I'll kill him."

"Munkustrap," said Mungojerrie, who was considered old enough to be present. "Ya can't."

"Why not?"

"'Cause Macavity doesn't fight like a cat."

"How do you know?"

"Teaza and I 'ave 'ad. . . dealings with 'im."

"What?!"

"Well, we didn't always live in Victoria Grove, now, did we?"

Munkustrap waved his paw. "Go on."

"Macavity's. . . unearthly. 'e fights like a beast. I've never seen 'im lose. Oi'm not sayin' you're not a good fighter, 'cause ya are. You're one of the best. But with Macavity. . ." the calico tom shook his head. "Ya wouldn't be around long enough to 'elp Demeter."

"We can't just do nothing!" Munkustrap jumped to his feet. "She needs help! We have to do something! Come on! Bomb, she's your sister, and Addy, she might as well be yours!"

"I know, I know." Admetus said, flicking his tail nervously. "Just calm down, Munkus. You can't just charge in there, banners flying. We have to gather our forces. Attack together. All of us toms, and some of the queens too."

"Everyone, please, listen for a moment." Asparagus said, speaking for the first time. "This is a complicated situation. Yes, something must be done and something will be done. But we must think this out. We must have a plan. We must speak with Old Deuteronomy, seek his council. It's been a difficult night. Let's get some sleep and discuss this in the morning. I'm sure Bombalurina, at least, would appreciate some rest."

The red queen nodded her thanks and leaned into the arms of Rum Tum Tugger, who wrapped her in a gentle embrace.

"You're right," Munkustrap sighed, running a paw across his forehead. "Everybody get some sleep. We'll talk again tomorrow."

* * *

They did have every intention to meet the next morning but it proved unnecessary. As a few cats began gathered in the center of the yard, Bombalurina suddenly pointed towards the tire and screamed, "Demi!"

And sure enough, there she was. After all the agitation, worrying and violent threats, she just appeared. The golden queen was frantic and violent, saying nothing but 'Macavity'. Her fur was messy and unkempt, her body showing signs of abuse. Her paws were red with what could only be blood. She would let no tom approach her, even Admetus got a swipe at the nose. She hissed and spat at some of the queens as well, darting this way and that, trying to escape from the very place she had returned to. Finally, Jennyanydots managed to calm her enough to bring her to the gumbie cat's den, where all the Jellicles crowded.

Munkustrap was beyond frantic, pacing back and forth, sitting only to leap up again. Every once and a while, a cry would come from within, and Munkustrap's pacing would become more erratic.

Eventually, Jellylorum went in, as did Bombalurina, and Tantomile in an attempt to help the frantic queen, but no toms were allowed in. Finally, as night fell, the crowd dispersed. Admetus and Tugger didn't want Munkustrap alone, so they agreed to take the tabby to Admetus's den, where the three toms would stay the night. It was a tight fit, but Admetus had Electra share his bed and Tugger pulled a half-sleeping Munkustrap into Electra's bed with him.

"Sorry it's so cramped." Admetus whispered into the dark.

"Nah, it's fine." Tugger whispered back. "I don't want Munkus alone. He's not as tough and collected as everyone thinks. Not when it comes to Demi. He gets crazy about Demi. He'd die for her. Which is what concerns me"

"That seems a bit insightful, coming from you."

Tugger laughed softly. "I know him better than anyone."

"How's that?"

"Well, he's my brother, after all."

"What?"

"You never knew that, did you. Yep. Mr. Responsible is my half-brother. We have the same mother."

"I had no idea. Neither of you ever mentioned it. And you're always fighting."

"Yeah, well, we keep our affection in the closet."

Electra stirred in her sleep next to Admetus and the toms fell silent.

* * *

"Addy, wake up." Admetus ignored the voice.

"Come on, wake up."

"Hm? Who's it?" he mumbled.

"You have to help me find Electra."

"Nah, she's in bed."

"No, she isn't."

Admetus forced his eyes open and blinked a few times, waiting for the world to come into focus. Munkustrap, who was still staying with Admetus several days after Demeter's return, was standing over him. He looked over at the bed and saw that, sure enough, Electra was gone.

"Pounce and Jemima and Etcetera and Tumble are gone too." the silver tabby said.

Ademtus groaned. "Night games."

While the adults hadn't yet returned to the normal rhythm of the junkyard, the kits, many of whom had never met Demeter, quickly resumed their usual happenings. They had taken to sneaking off at night when the adults were asleep to play all sorts of games they insisted were more fun in the dark. They were usually caught, but the good time they had until the adults hauled them back to bed was apparently worth it.

"Damn it." he swung himself out of bed, yawning hard. "I'm getting sick of this."

"I know, but I don't want to wake the whole 'yard. I just got Tugger up-"

"I'll bet he was real pleased."

"Yeah, but he's got a soft spot for Etcetera. He didn't complain to much."

"Well, let's get this over with."

The toms exited the den, Munkustrap headed north, while Admetus went east. As he turned a corner he bumped heads with another cat.

He cursed softly, rubbing the offending spot on his brow.

"Sorry, Addy."

"Tantomile! What are you doing up?"

"I might ask you the same thing, but I imagine we're awake for the same reasons."

"Kit hunting?"

"Bingo."

"Who else is up?"

"You, Tugger, Munkustrap and myself. I didn't bother to wake Cori."

Admetus nodded absently but was inwardly pleased. It was very difficult to talk to Tantomile with her brother present.

The queen looked up into the clear, star-filled sky and sighed softly.

"Beautiful night, isn't it?'

"Too bad we have to find the kittens. There's so many other things one could do on a night like this." Admetus said.

She smiled. "Or maybe two could do?"

Admetus turned to her, hardly believing his ears. "Uh . . . yeah. Hey. . . maybe- I mean, that is, if you wanted to- we could. . .sometime the two of us could. . ."

"Go mouse hunting?"

"Yeah, that'd be great!" he blurted out, relieved she had understood his question, even if he couldn't ask it properly.

Tantomile smiled, a little shyly. "How about the night after next?"

"Okay." The two stood there, both suddenly bashful.

"Um . . . we should be-"

"Finding the kits."

"Right. I'll talk to you later."

"Okay, bye." He watched her go off into the shadow, a goofy smile on his face. Then he remembered the task at hand. He looked to the right, then to the left.

"Right is wrong and left is right." he murmured. "To the left, then." He turned and continued the "hunt".

He hadn't been searching long when he heard soft crying. Concerned it was an injured kit, he followed it through the maze of rubbish until he saw Demeter, sitting in the silver moonlight, weeping into an old pillow.

He paused, unsure of if he should approach her. His chest ached to see her there. She had been so proud, so collected, even tough. Now she looked shattered. He suddenly missed her haughty, even bratty attitude that used to infuriate him. A wave of anger washed over him and he wondered if maybe they shouldn't have waited. Maybe they should have gone with Munkustrap's first impulse.

Softly, he whispered her name. "Demi."

She jumped and turned towards him, sighing with relief when she saw who it was. "Addy."

He sat next to her, resting his paw lightly on hers.

"Addy, I'm sorry."

"For what?"

"You tried to tell me. You tried to tell me you were worried and I just ignored you."

"Dem, don't apologize. I had no idea what was going on or I would have tried harder. Everyone would have."

"I chose this! I went to him! I'm so stupid!"

"Sh, don't talk like that."

"I am! I knew that he was no good, but I just kept coming back until he wouldn't let me leave. I'm sorry."

"Don't be! I should be apologizing to you! I just got mad when you didn't come back. I didn't give you the benefit of the doubt. I assumed you abandoned the 'yard for excitement. At least Munkustrap-"

"Munkustrap!" she wailed.

"What?"

"I was so terrible to him. He was always so good to me and I just blew him off."

Admetus sighed softly "Dem. . . "

"And you want to know the funny thing?"

"What?"

"He's all I thought about. Munkustrap, I mean. On the nights that I could fall asleep, I would dream about him." she closed her eyes, recalling the memories. "My silver champion. I missed him so much. His gentle smile, his eyes, his laugh. The way he said my name." She laughed a strange, half sort of laugh. "I've never really liked my name, but when he said it. . . it was like music. Everlasting Cat, I've been so stupid!"

"Demeter, tell him. It's not like you've missed your chance. He still feels the same way about you."

"I couldn't. . ."

"Of course you could. Demi, he'd be floating if you told him."

"You don't understand. I'm different now. I'm not the same cat I was when I left. I'm changed, I'm broken."

"It's all right. He'll understand." He lifted her chin to meet her eyes. "You don't have to stay broken. You're strong, Dem. You don't have to let this be the end of you."

She shook her head in refusal or disbelief.

"Dem, how did you get away?"

"He came to me one night, he usually came every three days or so. He came and when I heard his voice. . ," she shuddered. "He always called me Darling. 'Hey, Darling,' he said. I could feel his hot breath on my shoulder. Something jumped inside me. I leapt at him, hissing and scratching. He's so much bigger than me, I always felt like he could snap me in two. . ." she sucked in some air and wetted her lips." He was so shocked, I hadn't fought him in a long time. He only managed to hit me once. Then he tripped and I-" she paused, a faint smile touching her lips. "I nearly took away his . . . manhood, if you get my drift. He fell to the ground and I ran. I ran and didn't look back. I didn't think I even remembered where the junkyard was, but I found it. I ran through the night, I didn't sleep. I was in a trance. Nothing could have stopped me. I ran until Jenny touched my arm."

"And you say you're broken? Demeter, you nearly castrated the Napoleon of Crime! We all thought we would have to rescue you. Bomba didn't even think you'd leave if you had the chance. There's still some of that old spunk in you."

"Daddymetus?" Admetus and Demeter turned to see Electra standing there.

"Daddy?" Demeter asked.

"Not really, it's sort of a nickname. She lives with me."

"Daddymetus, who's this?" the kitten asked.

Ademtus raised a brow surprised to hear the kitten say more than one word in front of a stranger. And without Etcetera, no less.

"This is Demeter."

The kitten studied the golden queen for a moment, then asked in her tiny voice, "Are you sad?"

Tears continued to streak down her face, but she forced a watery half smile and nodded.

"Sometimes I'm sad too." Electra said quietly. "Because I don't have a mommy like some of the other kits. And my daddy doesn't know who I am. But it's okay. You know why?"

Demeter shook her head.

"'Cause even if I don't have a real mommy or daddy, there's a lot of cats who love me a whole bunch."

"Electra!" Munkustrap was searching for the kitten. "Electra!"

The kitten continued like she didn't hear him. "So it's okay if you're sad. I know there're a lot of cats here who love you too."

Demeter looked at the kit like she had never seen anything quite like her. "Who love me. . ." she whispered.

"Electra!"

Admetus turned towards the tabby's voice. "Over here!"

Munkustrap appeared and saw Electra first.

"All right, young lady. We're going to have a nice long talk about- Demi!" he caught sight of the queen and stopped, Electra forgotten.

"Hello, Munkustrap." she said softly.

Admteus rubbed his head against her shoulder and whispered in her ear "Tell him." She closed her eyes and nodded. He gathered up Electra, who snuggled into his arms, never taking her eyes off the older queen.

He smiled at Munkustrap and gave him a gentle push towards Demeter. The silver tabby moved slowly towards her. She bit her lip, still crying softly. Cautiously, he put an arm around her shoulder. She melted into his arms, burying her head in his shoulder.

"Don't cry, Dem." he whispered. "You're okay now. I promise, you'll never have any reason to cry again."

Admetus watched for a moment as the silver tom and golden queen began talking in low voices, then quietly took his leave, returning to the refrigerator. He gave Tugger a smile and a nod as the lion cat herded a group of sleepy kittens to their respective homes. He entered his den and set Electra on to her little bed.

"I should scold you, you know," he said, tucking the blankets around her chin. "But I think you might have really helped someone tonight. You're wise beyond your years, little one."

She just smiled and curled up into a ball, the tip of her tail nearly touching her nose.

He climbed into his own, sighing contently. Demeter was back, Munkustrap was with her, the kittens were in bed and he and Tantomile. . . well, there was a little something there and the hope of something more. Finally, in Admetus's eyes, all was right with the world.

 

Continue....